In 1982 our little family moved to Clovis, New Mexico, my husband stationed as an F-111 pilot at Cannon AFB. Clovis is a tiny little place, and for some strange reason I remember very little about it. I do remember driving to Lubbock Texas meant getting to "go somewhere" and years before when we had been stationed at Lubbock's Reese AFB for pilot training, we thought we were in the middle of nowhere. :-) The one thing that we would have LOVED about Clovis, a museum with displays of the famous "Clovis Point," was closed for repairs the entire time we were there. But I did make a wonderful friend, Kathy Choate. Her husband Paul was the pediatrician on base, and they had a small son about the same age as our daughter. We were there a year, moving on to Hurlburt Field in Florida, and once in 1986 (while they were still at Clovis) we stopped there on our way west on vacation. That was the last time I had seen Kathy.
Over the years we wrote lots of letters, sometimes with greater faithfulness than at others. But, 1986 was the last time we had seen each other...until this past week! Kathy and her family of three grown children and five grandchildren live in Colorado Springs, CO and she flew down for a visit that was amazing!
 |
| We had an amazing dinner at Union Public House and started getting caught up. |
 |
| Of course the Chef (my son-in-law Jack for those who don't know!) came by the table to say hello |
 |
| Kathy didn't want to do any sight-seeing really so we mostly stayed close to home and had a wonderful visit! Here we are in my front yard. |
 |
| We did go to tea at Chantilly Tea Room...ooh, what a great place! We met my daughter there, and all of us loved it! |
 |
| A view of the interior. |
 |
| The waitress took a picture of the three of us. |
 |
| There was a marvelous Artisan show at St. Phillip's Plaza and we found some great copper jewelry! Souvenir time! :-) |
 |
| I picked up several of the artists' cards for future reference. There were many amazing things! |
Our visit ended all too soon and it was time to say goodbye. After thirty years it had just seemed like we had seen each other a few weeks ago, and we had picked up right where we left off. Friends are so important to our lives, and too often we don't make the lasting kind, and that is sad. I look forward to our next visit, maybe in Colorado Springs!
16 comments:
how awesome, after all this time, to reconnect in a flash. :)
How wonderful and exciting to see your old friend Marie. What a marvelous time you had. I loved this post!
What a great post, Marie... You look so happy --and I'm sure you LOVED your visit with your special friend. That was GREAT that she could come and visit you... Looks like a great time was had by all.
Hugs,
Betsy
I loved just getting to look at your pictures! How wonderful that you were able to meet up again. The tea room looks so elegant and fun. And I love those artisan tents. The talent some people have is downright wonderful!
I have heard you talk about Kathy for years, Marie... feel like I know her, too, although we have never met. How a terrific visit for the 'old' friends getting ac-
quainted once again. Special time, indeed.
What a joyful post! Great fun to read it!
Cheers from Cottage Country!
I think it is wonderful that you stayed in touch. It looks like you had a wonderful visit!
Blessings,
Lorilee
Hello Marie-AZ
Wonderful post - great with friends, and nice to your long "separate approval" not be felt.
PS. I'm curious as to what May 2013 offers.
Wish you a good Thursday :)
Hugs Hanne Bente
Reconnecting is a wonderful thing! Love the pictures and the tea room! Have a happy day!
It looks like you guys had a wonderful visit! Hopefully, it won't be so long before you get to see each other again! :)
I'm sorry I missed going to the Tea Room and meeting Kathy!
I am glad you had a great time with your friends.
What a beautiful entry about your special day!
So glad you had a nice visit and had time to reconnect:) I've never been to the Chantilly room. You ladies look wonderful! I love when old friends come back. They are so few and between those moments but I do cherish them when they happen.
Awww.... how wonderful to reconnect with an old friend!
I think it's wonderful you got to spend the time with her.
The tea room is lovely!!!
I'd love the art show. I can imagine there were many marvelous items; especially if your fences are any indication of the artistry there. :)
Very nice tea room with people Special in your life.
Glad it was a nice day for weather it looks.
Post a Comment