It's time for Willy Nilly Friday Five! Tanya's awesome meme can be reached by clicking HERE.
Before I give you the next five in Bethany's list (I will save that for the end), let me share five other things with you:
1. Last week I took a detour to the grocery store to get a photo of a church I had seen and happened upon a spot where several cars were parked on the side of the road. A man had a tripod and camera, pointed into the desert. I immediately stopped, hoping for a hawk sighting, but when I asked the man what he was photographing, he informed me that someone had driven off the road into the desert and committed suicide there, and they had just taken the body away and now a tow truck was coming for the man's car. WHAT!? Well, I said how sorry I was, and left immediately. Sometimes when you think life is handing you a pleasant opportunity, there is an unpleasant surprise! Such a tragic thing to happen upon!
2. Two books I read recently that I highly recommend: Navajos Wear Nikes by Jim Kristofic (an excellent memoir about a young Caucasian boy growing up on the Navajo Reservation ) and Unbroken, A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption By Laura Hillebrand (about which they recently made an excellent motion picture.) I won't review either here, as I will be doing so in the coming weeks on the Book Club site. But I wanted to mention them...
3. And mention a book I would NOT recommend-- Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon. I realize this book is extremely popular, but it was just not for me. Besides being disjointed, and written with sequels in mind (there are apparently five of these books), it also goes into way too much sexual detail for my taste. And, there are witchcraft elements that bothered me. I don't mind something like that in its historic context, but the way the sex and the witchcraft were brought about in the book were just "too much." I read the entire long book, as I kept trying to give it a chance, but found the entire experience very disappointing. It isn't one I would review for the Book Club because it's too long, so I thought I would mention my reservations here.
4. My series shows have almost all come to an end, with their season finales all watched (some of which were awesome!) and now I must wait for their return in four to six months. But, the reason I bring it up is because there is a new series coming out that I very much look forward to right now (and it should greatly ease my wait!)-- Texas Rising! It will premiere on May 31st I think. I am such a history fanatic, that I really enjoy shows based on actual historic events.
5. And, I just thought I would mention that my daughter suggested that our mysterious night visitor might have been a raccoon. I suppose that makes the most sense. We do have raccoons here, though they are rarely seen. I can't think of a better idea. At any rate, if we do get a critter cam and I capture any visits on film, I will definitely let you all see the results!
Now for the next five on Bethany's List:
*
What
is the most encouraging thing anyone has ever told you/or that you've
ever read?
When I was in the sixth grade my teacher loved a story that I had written and told me I could become a writer. She suggested I submit something to a children's literary magazine. It gave me so much confidence.
**
What
is your go-to meal for when you need to cook something quickly?
I guess, hamburgers. It's just so easy to make a hamburger patty, brown it, and slap it in a bun served with some potato salad, coleslaw, tater tots or chips and maybe baked beans.
***
Do you have a favorite
word?
alliterative
****
What
is your favorite tv series?
Wow....I think this one's been covered! :-)
*****
If
you could have a gift card to any clothing store, including online,
what would it be for?
Clothes generally don't excite me. I just don't have a favorite store, though I have some favorite styles of clothing but I rarely spend the money it would take to indulge in the styles I like.
Well, next time there will be five more (four that I will have come up with on my own). This is an easy list if any of you wish to also borrow it from Bethany and add your own answers. Have a great weekend!
18 comments:
Most of my shows have also ended for the season, but I am starting with some summer shows like the recently premiered "Wayward Pines" mini series. It seems good, but we'll see. Have a great weekend.
Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography
Hello Marie, your ceramic piece does look like a nice birdhouse. It is sad that someone committed suicide. I just wonder what the man was photographing? I have not had time for much reading lately. A critter cam would be great idea for your bandit. Wishing you a Happy Memorial Day weekend!
guess i'm looking forward to some of the summer shows starting back up again. :) i guess you might as well go for a plant.
Good job on your coverage of the memes today, my dear....I read Unbroken, and it is really a great book...the move wasn't so good as the book.
love, love, love the fish, that's a keeper for sure!!!!
i am not a clothes person, my style is very simple!!
my favorite t.v. show is the amazing race, someday, i will do it!!!!
Hi, Marie! I vote for buying a plant :) Texas Rising does look good, but we don't have cable so we'll have to wait for netflix. Have a great weekend!
Ohhhhhhh, that Texas Rising sound intriguing, I'm gonna have to look that up.
I know just how you feel when a book synopsis sounds promising and then to be highly disappointed! Yep, been there, done that.
I just added that Navajo book to my list of stuff I want to read. Thanks for the suggestion.
Your ceramic fish is very cute. As for whether to put a plant in it, I think it would look nice but the birds would probably start wanting to build a nest after that, if there was room in amongst the leaves. How awful about that tragic fatality. It really does make me realize you have to live each day to the fullest. I’ve read about the movie Unbroken but not the book or the otherone about the young boy and the Navajo. I don’t know anything about Outlander. I am reading a series of books by Deborah Crombie, an English detective series. This is my third one. I find I enjoy getting to know the repeated characters. I will have to keep Texas Rising in mind. Haven’t heard of that either. I wonder if your night visitor had been a raccoon. Your answers made a very interesting read. Very enjoyable.
I thank you should buy a plant, it is cute even with out one.
I love your big mouth fish! Tom The Backroads Traveller
Interesting reading Marie...I didn't join the Willy NIlly today cause I knew I was not going to be home much, but I do like reading them.
Exquisite creativity, beautiful, very fun!!
Texas Rising?? Haven't heard about it!
That man with the camera sounds ghoulish...
Happy weekend!
hughugs
I've spent some time catching up here and loved your doves and fence posts.
I have to say I don't know why anyone would want to set up a tripod for pictures at a suicide site. Eeery.
I was happy with most of my TV finales but also sad to see some were ending without a proper closure.
Your hamburger meal is just what we would have!
I know I haven't been by often but want to thank you for visiting me and leaving a comment. I'm feeling more like myself so hopefully this week I can back to regular visits.
Your tale of what happened when you stopped at that church for a picture reminded me of what Aunt Lena said happened when a bunch of people was baptisting some new members in a creek below the church. A man stopped his car, ran down there thinking there had been an accident and when he was told they were baptisting someone, he got all huffy and stormed off.
you mentioned on my post today about me commenting on a long post last friday. i have not commented on this post or any of your post that i know of..
i love your little fish but i wonder why a bird hasn't settled in yet? hmmmm...i bet as soon as you put a plant in there they will come haha....so sad about the suicide...what's wrong with people that they are gathered taking pictures of it? thanks for linking marie! hope you had a wonderful week!!
Post a Comment