Psalm 19:1--The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth his handywork.


I wish to apologize to anyone who may be having trouble making comments on my posts. I appreciate your visit so much, and wish I could read what you have to say, but something is going on with my computer, and until I can get the issue addressed, this may continue. Please keep visiting! Also, often I cannot make a comment on some posts I look at, particularly those who ask for me to show I am a guest. I have noticed sometimes someone can only comment in the "Reply" section of another comment...if that's all that works, then that's fine! Let's keep visiting no matter what happens, and know we are touching each other with our creativity and thoughts and images even when we can't get (or leave) feedback. God bless you my dear blogger friends!


02 May 2015

I've Been Captured!

Time for Eileen's Critter Party, Saturday's Critters!  Thanks Eileen.

We have no end of lizards here in the Sonoran Desert.  Several varieties can be seen almost anywhere:  collared lizards, earless, side-blotched, desert spiny, tree, whiptail, zebratail and spotted.  The horned lizard is what we call "horny toads" and they are very unique and we also saw a Gila Monster once many years ago (and had no camera with us!)   The boys are generally here on Mondays after school--our grandson C our great-nephew L.  Most of the time you can't get them interested in anything other than their phones, but they are both on restriction because of grades, trying to bring them up here at the last. To my delight they wanted to "go outside" after they were through with their homework and after helping me with a few little projects.  I remember my childhood, and "outside" was a magical place where you had adventures away from the parents and grandparents, and well, at least met with friends.  In the summer it is way too hot to be outside much, but right now it's gorgeous!  Why would anyone want to stare at their phone screen when they could be in the sunshine and fresh air! :-)

Our grandson C on the left and great-nephew L with the football.

After a while they came inside with this little critter, wanting "something to put it in"....They were going to keep it and make it a pet.  I cut the top off a milk jug and they put sand in it, and a bottle lid with water.  They immediately looked up what kind of lizard it was (possibly a side-blotched), and decided it must be a female because the colors weren't as bright as the male's.  They even named her Neptune Azul.  They decided it would be so cool if she laid eggs (kind've hard to do if she lives alone in a milk jug!) They looked up what she eats and decided keeping her was definitely "do-able." 


Neptune's pretty body patterns

Looking at her belly, we see the blue color that gave her her middle name, Azul.
When Mom & Dad arrived just after 9 to get the boys, Dad insisted Neptune go back to live in my yard, and reluctantly the boys had to let her go.  It was for the best.

But, did we have an adventure?  Did we learn some things and have fun?  Hmmmmm.



21 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello Marie, I am sure your grandson and great nephew enjoyed their pet lizard.. They are cute boys.. I like the name they picked Neptune Azul. I guess it was sad & happy time the lizard was set free. Great shots! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!

Cloudia said...

I hate to see wild critters captured, but I have to say: those boys are smart and seem like they would be compassionate jailers. Glad their Dad is the man he is - probably why they are so smart.

We BOTH published lizards today!



ALOHA from Honolulu,
ComfortSpiral
=^..^=

Mascha said...

What a cute lizard! Here they are so rare...
Oh yeah, outside is the famoust place to have adventures, for me until today (and computer is only a medium to have any kindly contacts, otherwise I could live better without it)

Hootin Anni said...

Lovin' this...
And such a great name....Neptune!!!

TexWisGirl said...

oh, she's very cute and pretty, too. glad she was free to continue life as planned. :)

Unknown said...

She's a beauty, but I'm glad she could go back to living in your yard.

Leovi said...

Yes, wonderful picture, nice lizard!

Patsy said...

Boys know how to have fun, great kids.

Hannah said...

We had a lot of fence lizards in California, they are great bug catchers. Kids always have so much fun with animals, but I'm glad they let it go. I tried making pets of lizards and it's hard to get them to eat in captivity.

L. D. said...

Those boys are cute. I bet they give you two a lot of fun times.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I did the same when I was little. (Chased and caught lizards that is...not the cell phone stuff!)

Letting Neptune Azul go was for the best, and no harm keeping her for a few days.
~

Debbie said...

A very cool adventure for those boys!! It's also nice to see kids outside, enjoying sports and nature rather than playing on their phones. I see so much of that these days!! Nice close up images!!

Enjoy your Sunday!!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Cute boys and good images of the Lizard

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Ah she's a cute little thing / nice that they had some fun with her :)

Kathy said...

That is so "little boys." Lizards have always given me the jeebies. I don't mind looking at them but I don't want to be too close. The little ones especially. Go figure!

Michelle said...

Nice to see they enjoyed this lizard AND set her free!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

So maybe they learned that there is life outside of their devices.

Kudos to you to help them learn that.

abrianna said...

What a great find that lizard is. Glad they got outside too. Same ehre-in summer it is too hot and humid to be outside much.

Lea said...

Boys do love critters!
Have a wonderful day!
Lea

NatureFootstep said...

a pretty little one. And the boy seem to handle it with care :)

Jo said...

So glad you managed to learn with your grands about the cool lizard. But doubly glad that their dad insisted it was returned to your garden. I'm sure they'll see her regularly when they visit you. Please tell me how I can join your site as a follower? Blessings Jo