Here in the Arizona desert there are influences from many sources: the Indians; the Mexicans; the ranchers and homesteaders; the artists who have appreciated the unique sunlit vistas since they were first seen by human eyes. The touches of turquoise and copper and basketry and pottery infuse themselves into motifs. The animals who inhabit this harsh land are reflected everywhere. It is a land of sun, and of design and rugged beauty.
In modern day, the makers of overpasses and footbridges celebrate the artistry of the desert in a unique way. For Theresa's Good Fences, I offer just a few:
The creme de la creme of walkovers is found near 6th Avenue, downtown. You enter the rattlesnake's head....
walk though his body....
and as you exit near his tail, you hear a rattling sound, triggered by your movement!
Homes are surrounded by wonderful fences, decorative and often colorful:
Stucco walls adjacent to a business sometimes are beautifully painted and decorated.
Interiors reflect Arizona history with artifacts:
Living here can be such an enriching experience. You are surrounded by a unique blend of art, architecture, heritage and history all infused with its personal brand of desert style.
Now, for Nancy's Random Five Friday and Tanya's Willy Nilly Friday Five I offer five thoughts...Rose listed a long list of "If I were a..." items on her post weeks ago and I copied the list to add my own answers, and present them to you, five at a time (EG Camera Girl in Canada gave me the idea, as she did the same!) To see Rose's blog, click HERE....to see Camera Girl's, click HERE. So, here goes:
1. If I were a month I would be December, because Christmas comes in December!
2. If I were a day I'd be the day I was born, and start anew!!!! (But only if I know then what I know now!) :-)
3. If I were a time of day I'd be 5 am,and I would sit and listen to the peacefulness, and then watch the dawn!
4. If I were a font I'd be...I don't know, Times New Roman, I guess, because it's the most common and easy to read!
5. If I were a planet I'd be earth, because it it truly the most beautiful and the most perfect place for life to exist, the way God created it!
There you have it....will do the next five soon....
Psalm 19:1--The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth his handywork.
I wish to apologize to anyone who may be having trouble making comments on my posts. I appreciate your visit so much, and wish I could read what you have to say, but something is going on with my computer, and until I can get the issue addressed, this may continue. Please keep visiting! Also, often I cannot make a comment on some posts I look at, particularly those who ask for me to show I am a guest. I have noticed sometimes someone can only comment in the "Reply" section of another comment...if that's all that works, then that's fine! Let's keep visiting no matter what happens, and know we are touching each other with our creativity and thoughts and images even when we can't get (or leave) feedback. God bless you my dear blogger friends!
I wish to apologize to anyone who may be having trouble making comments on my posts. I appreciate your visit so much, and wish I could read what you have to say, but something is going on with my computer, and until I can get the issue addressed, this may continue. Please keep visiting! Also, often I cannot make a comment on some posts I look at, particularly those who ask for me to show I am a guest. I have noticed sometimes someone can only comment in the "Reply" section of another comment...if that's all that works, then that's fine! Let's keep visiting no matter what happens, and know we are touching each other with our creativity and thoughts and images even when we can't get (or leave) feedback. God bless you my dear blogger friends!
19 March 2015
SWestern Style II
Labels: trips, garden, painting, family, history
Desert Life,
Good Fences,
Heritage,
Random Five Fridays,
Tucson,
Willy Nilly Friday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





53 comments:
I like how they construct the head of the snake.
A very interesting place for sure.
That snake is fascinating, but a little creepy to me since I hate snakes so much. I like how artistically decorated all those walls are! Very pretty.
Marie it is all beautiful, but the rattlesnake was amazing!
Great photos for Good Fences. The snake is very unique!
What pretty sights, but that rattlesnake is awesome!
I completely agree with #s 1 & 2!
That rattlesnake is beyond cool, and even your interstates are pieces of art! Are other states taking advantage of all those blank canvases? They should be.
Very distinctive and unusual fences, Marie!
Pretty murals and creative fences.
Wow! Beautiful and creative fences! Great photos!
I would love to know Arizona, with many influences from the Indians and the Mexicans, as you wrote.
I am glad to know your wonderful blog.
It always seemed there is an artistic view wherever you turn in your little part of the world. I think it would be keep me rejuvenated. :) That first fence is really impressive.
I copied Rose's questions too. I like the five at a time - great idea!
I know right where that one is!!! The 2nd one. Traveled that area many-a-times.
That 'rattle' is new tho.
I definitely want to walk through the rattlesnake!
I really like the fences you have in your part of the world. The rattlesnake footbridge is certainly different!
I've always loved the awesome art on walls etc. when visiting Arizona, but that rattlesnake walkover is new to me - wow, that's really something! I'm not a lover of snakes however so perhaps would give it a miss. . . . unless there was something really special waiting on the other side, ha ha!
Happy day Marie - Mary x
wow! the rattlesnake is AWESOME! the roadway adornments are gorgeous and interesting and they would distract the heck out of me while driving! :) thanks, marie, for linking these cool things!
Good fences. I see you have my black bear where I live and they do roam in life.
The snake To be honest. I never seen
one yet. Maybe because we have Eagles?
All your pictures were lovely.
I always LOVE your fence posts...haha Maybe I should say fence blogposts. And I enjoyed your 5....I always love reading things about people.
Great selections of fence images! Looks like a neat place to visit.
You have really found some unusual structures for the Fences today, Marie.
these just might be the most beautiful, creative fences I have seen. number 3 is my favorite, but they are all wonderful, especially that rattler walk over.. thanks for sharing these,
Very interesting art work from public spaces.
Make driving down the interstate more enjoyable.
i love your fences. so fancy. you get to enjoy some many creatives ones indeed. ( :
i love getting up early just to be quiet. but then i am tired because i woke up early. it is such a give in take. be tired or be peaceful??!
i love the ability to change my fonts ... so fun to keep changing things.
they stopped talking about it for a while but there for a long time on the nightly news they were saying folks were going to win a contest to go to Mars, the thing is it was a one way ticket ... so i guess you would never come home??!
Very unique. I like the creative, artistic influences on the buildings etc.
What a great variety of fences and interestingart work.
Beautiful art work around such interesting fences. I love the bear painting. What an incredible rattler walk too.
Enjoyed your Random Five.
Have a great weekend and Happy Spring.
Hugs, CM
Very artistic fences out there. We were in Tubac last year golfing and saw the mission on your header. beautiful area. janey
Such a fabulous place to live. Yes, I know... it gets hot in the summertime but just look at all the different things you get to see and experience. Just amazing. I love your FIVE. Can't wait til next weeks.
Wonderful pictures, Marie! We were impressed by the beautiful artistic designs around the overpasses, etc.
I think I saw that rattlesnake when we were out West!
Love the third one, makes me wanna dance :))
Have a beautiful day
【ツ】Knipsa
Gorgeous fences, Marie! I love the rattlesnake! The Southwest is wonderful for celebrating its unique history and art. Such a beautiful post. xo Karen
Thank you for a most enjoyable trip through your part of the world.
WoW, what great finds!!! so much better than plain, ugly concrete walls!!!!
I love Southwestern art and that walkover is so great!
The Southeast is a very unique part of the country. That snake-walk is cool!!
You found some artistic fences to share. That's such a beautiful area influenced by so many cultures. Happy Spring! Hugs, Diane
Wonderful! I LOVE the snake!
;-)
Hi Marie,
This was a wonderful tour of the beautiful things about your city. I really enjoyed looking at the photos and reading your commentary.
Thanks for stopping by my blog.
Have a Beautiful Day!
Peace :)
PS. Yup - Looks like I found my long last brother :)
The snake is quite something!
So wonderful, my husband and I visited Arizona and New Mexico for our 30th Anniversary. So different to the Uk, blue skies and bright colours..
Hello Marie!:) The decorative walls and art work are wonderful.
How I would love to see this in person. The snake walkover is very cool!:)
Hi Marie, First of all, thank you for all your kind comments on my blog. Always good to see you! Now, on this post, I love the Native American influence so often seen in your part of the world. Your photos are excellent for Good Fences and much more! I have to say, I've never seen a walk-way like the Rattlesnake. How cool is that? I would say it is almost a destination in itself! Really nice work on this post ... thanks for sharing! John
The snake walk-over .... WOWZER! I used to live in New Mexico and loved all the Indian and Spanish decor ... great color. Loved your five -- Fun! I may have to borrow it too!
Hey...I recognize that bear and the bear tracks!! LOL!!
Famous artworks an a great snake! I love the influence of different cultures. This lack with us in Germany, everything is so uniform and people have an aversion to everything foreign (I find that bad!)...
Your answers are so near to my mind, most I would be 5 AM, that is the best hour, so quiet and fresh is the morning (and all the bad noise is still sleeping)
Thanks for your visit, enjoy the springtime
wonderful art on the bridges and that walkway is very clever!
If I were a font I would pick a fancy script one-because it is different and pretty.
My great nephew would absolutely LOVE that rattlesnake!
How in the world did we part company, Marie?? So glad to be back in touch.
I love your "If I were...". I may give that a go!
These are great! I love the rattlesnake bridge. The first time I saw it I was amazed. I don't think I have seen the tail before. Have you been to Sweetwater lately? I sure missed not getting to Tucson this year. Now that my back feels well enough to travel it is getting too hot out your way. This winter has been horrible and long.
The snake walk is interesting -- I think I could stand this kind of snake (I HATE snakes!). Your "If I were" questions are certainly thought-provoking. I can't answer them off the top of my head. But I know I would be the month of July -- the warmest, most sun, and also my birthday month!
I LOVE the creativity found in your area. It's so different from anything I see in Ontario!
Very eloquently put Marie, aren't they beautiful.
wow, lots of murals, fences and everything else. I wish we had a little of that in Sweden. Looks great as artwork too.
Love the artwork everywhere, and the rattlesnake bridge is quite unique. Would it spoil our childhood if we knew what we know now? Or would we enjoy it more?
Post a Comment