Psalm 19:1--The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth his handywork.


I wish to apologize to anyone who may be having trouble making comments on my posts. I appreciate your visit so much, and wish I could read what you have to say, but something is going on with my computer, and until I can get the issue addressed, this may continue. Please keep visiting! Also, often I cannot make a comment on some posts I look at, particularly those who ask for me to show I am a guest. I have noticed sometimes someone can only comment in the "Reply" section of another comment...if that's all that works, then that's fine! Let's keep visiting no matter what happens, and know we are touching each other with our creativity and thoughts and images even when we can't get (or leave) feedback. God bless you my dear blogger friends!


01 May 2015

It's Friday!

For Tanya's fun Willy Nilly Friday Five!  Join us!
Remember this photo from a few posts back...the saguaro skeleton on the left, embedded in its nurse tree, is the focus this time, because I wanted to show anyone who is interested what the saguaros look like as they die.  You can obviously see a healthy one on the right, but the skeleton of the perhaps more than one hundred or even two hundred year old cactus, stands broken on the left, part of the rotting body of another cactus beside it.  The little tree, perhaps a mesquite, shaded the baby saguaros when they were very small, for perhaps the first fifty years.  Click on these photos to enlarge and get a closer view.


As a saguaro rots, the hole bored into it by a woodpecker to make a small burrow inside can look like this...

Eventually the skeleton may fall and lay on the desert floor.  It is dry now, with woody ribs.  The outer flesh is gone.
Living in the Sonoran Desert is fascinating.  There is much of interest in this environment.  There are hundreds of living species (mammals down to insects, with plenty of reptiles as well) living here. We even have raccoons, though I've never seen one here! :-)  Someone asked in their comment on another post if the cactus fruit is edible.  Yes!  Many of them are, and you can even eat the fleshy pads of the prickly pear plant, and the flowers of the yucca.  The fruit that will appear in a couple of months after the saguaros bloom (we are coming into the saguaro flowering time!) have always been harvested by the Tohono O'Odham Indians here, and a fermented drink made from them to use as part of their rain ceremony.  Soon after will come the monsoons.  I enjoy learning about edible plants in every environment, and there are definitely fascinating ones to learn about here in the desert!

Here are five more from the list:

1.
If I were a body part I’d be hands that help and comfort and heal, and work at the things I love.  My daughter remembers me stroking her forehead and hair as she lay her head in my lap when she was a child.  A mother's touch is priceless, I think.

2. 

If I were a song I’d  be How Great Thou Art!

3. 
If I were a bird I’d be a hummingbird...maybe a really fancy one from South America with a long tail and head-dress in bright colors!

4.

If I were a gift I’d be something huge and expensive that would surprise the recipient with overwhelming joy!  Like an airplane for my hubby, or a house for my kids!

5.

If I were a city I’d be a small historic town, not a big bustling modern city...something like Jamestowne in the late 18th century, or a settlers town still east of the Mississippi.  
****

Mom's book is now available on kindle...if you've been waiting to get it in that format, click on my link on my blog to check out how to order!  You get it from Amazon.

Have a wonderful weekend!




12 comments:

Latane Barton said...

Your 'if I was such and such' entries always fascinate me. I know you well but yet, sometimes, you surprise me.

and thanks for the mention of my book now being on Amazon books for kindle. You're the best.

Mascha said...

I never thought, that cacti have such a woody skeleton and die more slowly than trees.. It must be a fascinating life in your region, very different to the nature here in Germany...
Have a nice weekend

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Hi Marie, I love how nature reclaims its own - slowly and gracefully, with nothing going to waste. I have just salvaged some Saguaro rib beads that I used to make a macrame hanger (oh, doesn't that date me!). All these years later I tossed the hanger but kept those wonderful beads. I'm sure it is illegal to harvest the Saguaro ribs now.....I love all your Friday thoughts. Your loving and generous spirit comes through. Have a wonderful weekend and I am going to order your Mom's book asap. Hugs xo Karen

eileeninmd said...

Hello Marie, the saguaro is a beautiful plant..maybe the skeleton will become a home for some critter.. Great answers and post. Happy weekend!

Donna said...

Aww! This is sort of a Sad post isn't it?!!Hahaa....Poor cactus!
Love the photos though!!
Happy weekend girlfriend!
hughugs

TexWisGirl said...

those saguaros are just cool. :) i liked your #3 answer.

Tanya Breese said...

that's interesting about the cactus and if i were a city i'd be an old historical one too! great choice! thanks for linking and have a great weekend marie!

Tom said...

I've always wanted to see the saguaro, maybe some day. Tom The Backroads Traveller

Linda Kay said...

Good luck with mom's book, Marie. Exciting to have it digitized. If you are coming back as a hummingbird, then you want to be selective!

Rose said...

It was so interesting to read about the cactus...I am sure it would take me some time to get used to that climate, but I would find it interesting I am sure.

Love to read your 5....

Cloudia said...

You live in a magical place





ALOHA from Honolulu,
ComfortSpiral
=^..^=

Elizabeth Edwards said...

i didn't know that is your mother? i love books. i never put it all together. i have gotten it on my kindle - & it is the next book to read, i can't wait, find it fun to see bloggy friends with books out there in the world. i need to think of something to write about myself. i enjoy reading and writing, but always wonder who will love it as much as i do?? you have a great weekend. take care. ( :