Psalm 19:1--The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth his handywork.


I wish to apologize to anyone who may be having trouble making comments on my posts. I appreciate your visit so much, and wish I could read what you have to say, but something is going on with my computer, and until I can get the issue addressed, this may continue. Please keep visiting! Also, often I cannot make a comment on some posts I look at, particularly those who ask for me to show I am a guest. I have noticed sometimes someone can only comment in the "Reply" section of another comment...if that's all that works, then that's fine! Let's keep visiting no matter what happens, and know we are touching each other with our creativity and thoughts and images even when we can't get (or leave) feedback. God bless you my dear blogger friends!


19 January 2015

For Rubbish Tuesday...Planes, Trains and Automobiles from the 50s!  Check out Roan's great meme showing all things old, vintage, forgotten and falling apart!  It's for treasures and cast-offs, but reflect the past we all love...

Planes:

I believe this is a  Boeing C-97 Strato freighter, used by the Navy and Air Force for cargo and passenger movement in wartime and peacetime, and this particular one was used to move my family from Midway Island to Hawaii as we left the island at the end of my Dad's tour of duty.  We boarded through the back cargo bay but cargo went in the below compartment, and passengers in the above compartment.  After we got to Hawaii it was then passage on a ship across the rest of the Pacific Ocean back to the States.  I vaguely remember this plane ride.  I was 6.  They gave my baby brother a little plastic airplane pin to attach to his shirt.  And we got to talk to the captain in the cockpit.  I remember the ship passage better, with the leis thrown into the water as we left (so we would someday return...proved true at least for my brother and his wife when they married several years ago) And I remember the man coming to the hallways playing a xylophone of three notes to announce time to eat.  Mom was very sick on that ship and I remember bringing her crackers.  I also had my first "date"...a little boy asked me to go see Peter Pan with him in the ship's theatre. 

For trains, I present a picture mostly of a group of people (you really can barely see the train, unfortunately).  This is my family as my great-grandmother went on her first train ride in 1955 at age 84. It was my first train ride as well, at age 3....that's me standing in front (the one with darker hair) with my 3-yr old cousin.  I'm pretty sure it was a steam train, and I have since longed to ride another one.  I really need to do that! :-)


Now for the cars....boy those cars were so awesome in the fifties!  Who can't be in love with them even now!

Me at 2 months old in 1952 on a shiny brand new Plymouth.


My hubby Russell with his Dad standing next to their 1947 Buick Super or maybe Roadmaster.




20 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

Love this flashback to your childhood!

DeniseinVA said...

Great post Marie, loved all the old photos of you as a little girl and the one of your hubby with his Dad. Real treasures! Have a great week :)

Tom said...

Looks like a Buick Super, which had a chrome on the side of the hood. It looks super to me. I just read that Arizona has acres of old planes sitting out in the desert. Tom The Backroads Traveller

Rose said...

You were an adorable baby! At least from what I can tell.

Bethany Carson said...

Those cars are real beauties! Sounds like you have fond memories of the plane and ship rides from Hawaii--and sounds like a sweet first date!

TexWisGirl said...

great old photos of classics. :)

Dewena said...

Marie, I'm so glad your mother told you to visit my blog -- I love her, by the way! I've loved reading through some of your posts here. I can tell you love history too, and I also, with my mother, followed my father from base to base, only I don't remember any of that as he left the Air Force after the war while I was still a toddler.

I just noticed that your mother has written a book. I'll have to go to Amazon. And do I remember correctly from your comment at my blog that you also write? We really must stick to it. I've finished 3, 2 were rejected years ago and I shelved them. One other is finished and I keep revising it while working on the longer one. I think I gave up on trying to submit to agents after I saw what good writing there was on blogs, so many great writers.

My son was telling me this morning about Amazon publishing and that I should check that out. I would love to at least see my books be handed down so that my grandchildren or their children could see them some day.

This is far too long a comment but wanted to say hello and that blogging is such a blessing because I meet the nicest people here!
So glad to have met you,
Dewena

eileeninmd said...

I love the shot of you as a baby on the old car! Great old photos.. Have a happy week!

Sue (this n that) said...

Hi Marie, what a great collection of past travels. Real highlights too.
Beautiful photos and memories.

I remember steam train travel as a child, it was very exciting. We'd put our faces out the window and there'd be bits of soot flying around (fun for children!!). We did it annually for many years, our family travelling to visit our grandparents.

I love the photo of you on the Buick... such a cutie - oh and the car is great too ;D) Cheers now

Linda Kay said...

Marie, these are delightful flashbacks! Too bad you can't remember those plane and train rides, since you were so small. You look pretty cute on that car fender!

Michelle said...

Love that last photo!

Brian King said...

Those are cool! I really like the '47 Buick!

Latane Barton said...

What a nice post, Marie. It really brought back a ton of memories for me. I wasn't aware that you remember the ship or the plane ride from Midway. Guess we just never talked about it.

LV said...

Great old times and memories. But I like the way travel is now.

Jackie McGuinness said...

Looks like we were born in the same year!

doodles n daydreams said...

A wonderful post of memories, I love going through old photo's, things have changed so much.

Diana
http://adifferentlenslens365.blogspot.co.nz/2015/01/the-old-wool-store.html

Roan said...

Very enjoyable post! Loved reading about your 84 year old great grandmother. Did she ever get to fly in an airplane?

Tanya Breese said...

oh how i love all of these marie and look at cute little you!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

What a fun nostalgic post! Very cleverly put together for the meme. I especially loved the train story. But the car ... oh weren't they wonderful!!!

George said...

It was a real treat to see these vintage planes, trains and cars. Thanks for sharing them.