Psalm 19:1--The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth his handywork.


I wish to apologize to anyone who may be having trouble making comments on my posts. I appreciate your visit so much, and wish I could read what you have to say, but something is going on with my computer, and until I can get the issue addressed, this may continue. Please keep visiting! Also, often I cannot make a comment on some posts I look at, particularly those who ask for me to show I am a guest. I have noticed sometimes someone can only comment in the "Reply" section of another comment...if that's all that works, then that's fine! Let's keep visiting no matter what happens, and know we are touching each other with our creativity and thoughts and images even when we can't get (or leave) feedback. God bless you my dear blogger friends!


29 January 2015

Five Things For Friday

Tanya has a wonderful meme where you can share any five things you desire.  I love it!  Thanks Tanya.  Click on the LINK and see what everyone is sharing....

1.  First, a photo of a sunrise about a month ago...



2.  A very special uncle died this past week in Tennessee.  He built log cabins, hunted for treasure with a metal detector, did wonderful paintings, and could play almost any instrument he set his mind to play.  He was a retired police detective and was well loved and respected.  He had a kind and gentle soul.  Sadly we could not go to the funeral, but many of our family were able to be there.  He will be greatly missed.

My sweet uncle with his youngest child
3.  This past weekend was the 2015 Tucson Quilt Show.  I worked my required (as a member of the Guild) hour and a half, and then a friend and I were able to enjoy the show.  To see many of the wonderful quilts, check out my post on my quilting blog piece-fulness.  Click on the LINK.

A closeup of one of the amazing quilts from the show
4.  My hubby and I have started a diet.  I'm not going to be fancy and say we have started eating more healthy, or are beginning a lifestyle change...it's a DIET.  A rose by any other name!  :-)  We are doing it for our health, and because we need to feel better about ourselves and just generally feel better, period.  And if my hubby loses enough he can have his knees done.  Both are bone on bone.  There are just lots of reasons.  Mostly we are cutting way back on bad carbs and bad fats.  Wish us success!

5.  I have to share a really funny video my hubby had sent to him on facebook the other day....it's a must-see for all of us "older" folks. :-)


Have an awesome week!!

27 comments:

Kenneth Cole Schneider said...

Good luck with your diet. I have also been restricting cars and have lost 20 pounds since December 1. Now I need to figure out how to enter the "maintenance" phase. The video is hilarious-- quite a talented musician!

eileeninmd said...

So sorry about your uncle, sending my prayers to you and your family.. The sunrise is gorgeous and the quilt is lovely.. Wonderful series, I hope you are having a great day!

EG CameraGirl said...

So sorry your dear uncle died. I'm sure you will indeed miss him.

The quilt you photographed is beautiful. I hope you have more photos of the show.

TexWisGirl said...

good luck on the diet! i'm sorry for the loss of your uncle. he sounded like a man who lived life and added a lot to it, too.

diane b said...

Sorry to hear about your uncle and good luck with your diet. I need to lose weight too but willpower is the problem.

Brian King said...

That's a gorgeous sky!

Lovable Derek said...

This is a lovely balanced post.

Sorry to read about your uncle. You have my sympathy.

Good luck with your diet!

Have a great weekend.

Michelle said...

LOVE that first photo!

Linda Kay said...

Marie, great job on the post. I love the artistry of the quilt shoes. Hope hubby can get his knees fixed soon.

Mary said...

I'm sorry you lost your uncle, he certainly looked like a charming man and I know must have been a special person in your loving family - my condolences go out to all who loved him.

May the diet go well and help you both on your journey to better health. It will be hard but you will feel so much better. I hope your hubby can get in good shape and have his knee surgery, he must be in quite a lot of pain.

Take care - eat healthy - and enjoy life Marie.
Hugs - Mary

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Hello my Dear Marie,
I am sorry about the loss of your Uncle. He sounds like a wonderful man who touched many lives.
The sunrise is beautiful and brings back lovely memories. Half of my state is down in Phoenix right now for the Superbowl - wish I were there. I will take a peek at your quilt blog - quilting is an amazing art form and one that takes patience, skill and an artistic eye. Good luck on your diets - my friend had knee replacement surgery on both her knees (at separate times) and it has given her a new lease on life! Thank you for your sweet condolences for our dog, Champ. I need to give my email to your Mom about the book club. I am just getting back to blogging. Hugs to you xoxo Karen

Phil Slade said...

Good luck withe diet Marie. Ours begin when we get back from holiday - too much food on offer here. A funny video - " Tom Petty" especially.

John's Island said...

Hi Marie, What a neat post. I love quilts. Good luck on the diet, I need to do the same. Love the old rock star songs! :-) Thanks for sharing and thanks for your comments on my blog. Have a good weekend! John

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I sorry for your loss, he looks so young. Prayers for the family.
Your sunrise is beautiful and that quilt is amazing. I so admire quilters! The video is spot on..some rockers are starting to look so tired..but so am I and I have grown up with them..Sigh.

Dewena said...

I just read on your mother's blog about your uncle's passing. So good to learn more about him here, he sounds as if he lived life to the fullest.

Best of luck on the "Diet." Breathtaking sunrise!

Kathy said...

What a fun post!

I loved the video. I must find it on YouTube and send to a friend. And if I were a quilter that's the quilt I'd make. Love that pattern.

Good luck with the weight loss, but don't forget to treat yourself once in a while.

rainfield61 said...

That is sure a beautiful sky that your uncle would love.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I am sorry about your uncle. He sounds like he was a very interesting gentleman.

DeniseinVA said...

1) A fabulous sunrise Marie. Love those contrasting palm trees, a wonderful photo.

2) I am so sorry to hear about your uncle. He had a lovely smile and such a precious photo taken with his daughter. A wonderful man and so clever, as well as being a police detective and we know how much we owe a lot to your uncle and people in his profession. My deepest condolences to you and his family.

3) The quilt in your picture is an amazing work of art. I do so admire the talented people who can put these together. I am blessed with two that Gregg’s aunt made for us. They will always be considered family treasures. Thank you for the link. I will look at it after this.

4) Good for you and your hubby. We’re trying also. One day at a time, one step at a time, that's the only advice I am going to give.

5) I shared your video with Gregg and we have been laughing out loud Marie, thank you for sharing it. He is a very talented man, has a great sense of humor and is a marvelous singer and guitar player.


Tom said...

#1 Call the fire department, the sky is on fire.
#2 It's always sad to loose a loved one.
#3 What a beautiful quilt.
#4 I should join you!
#5 He is good.
I plan to have an awesome week. Tom The Backroads Traveller

Dorothy said...

Interesting and beautiful pictures. Your Uncle was a handsome young man! Sorry about your loss. I know you enjoyed the quilt show!! Bless you and your Hubby as you go on your diet! I am trying to lose weight, too. I let myself go for the past several months and now I'm paying for it. You know it's time to go on a diet when your largest pants are too tight!!!!!

Rose said...

Good luck with the diet...I need to do one but just cannot pluck up the courage to even try.

Will have to come back and watch the video...just not in the mood now, but it sounds like one I will like.

Just a few days seen the story behind Closing Time by Semisonic...sure not what everyone thought.

Sharon Wagner said...

Good luck with that diet! And I'm sorry to hear about your Uncle. It sounds like he was a great man.

Bethany Carson said...

The sunrise is absolutely gorgeous! I love the golden colors! Sorry to hear about your uncle's death; sounds like he was a very neat person with a variety of interests. The quilt looks lovely, and I imagine you got to see so many more equally as beautiful. I enjoy the art/craft shows I go to with my grandparents, so I figure a quilt show must be pretty interesting as well.

All the best in your diet! May the Lord bless you and your husband with good health!

Suburban Girl said...

I love Tom's comment above. I do wish you success on the diet. That quilt is amazing.

Jenn Jilks said...

No diets for us. A bit stressful these days!

Tanya Breese said...

oh marie...i am sooo very sorry about your uncle..sending you hugs and prayers...nick's mom passed away this week too...i didn't mention it on my blog because i didn't feel like it was my place since it is his mother...beautiful sunset and that quilt is gorgeous! i'm so sorry it has taken me so long to visit! is this uncle your mom's brother?