Psalm 19:1--The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth his handywork.


I wish to apologize to anyone who may be having trouble making comments on my posts. I appreciate your visit so much, and wish I could read what you have to say, but something is going on with my computer, and until I can get the issue addressed, this may continue. Please keep visiting! Also, often I cannot make a comment on some posts I look at, particularly those who ask for me to show I am a guest. I have noticed sometimes someone can only comment in the "Reply" section of another comment...if that's all that works, then that's fine! Let's keep visiting no matter what happens, and know we are touching each other with our creativity and thoughts and images even when we can't get (or leave) feedback. God bless you my dear blogger friends!


10 January 2015

Tucson Hawk Visitors

For Anni's Bird d'Pot and Stewart's Wild Bird Wednesday, two photos from my archives...

It's was beautiful 76 degrees a couple of days ago. We saw two gorgeous Harris Hawks flying overhead a few days prior to that. I was so busy staring I didn't even try to get a picture. I saw them again on the warm day high over a parking lot. Either the same ones or another pair. I wish they would visit our yard! We get Cooper's Hawks and rarely Grey Hawks (which are only common in the Sonoran Desert). I have been able to take (not very good) photos of both at times. A Coopers Hawk  once flew into my back glass door while chasing a dove, and stunned itself. I have an iron grate outer door that was too far ajar when this occurred and have ever since only opened that one a little when it's unlocked, to keep any birds from doing this again. The Coopers got it's wits back and flew off. I managed to get one fuzzy photo that day of it sitting on my back fence. (Notice it's ruffled breast feathers) 




BUT I have an awesome shot of a Harris Hawk I took when we all went to the Sonoran Desert Museum and saw the raptor show there. I was pretty proud of this shot....beautiful birds!

30 comments:

Betsy Brock said...

Oh that is a beautiful hawk! Lucky you to have it so close!

Sue (this n that) said...

Hi Marie, what beaut photos you've shown.
You've every right to be proud of them too.
Aren't they magnificent birds. Oh dear, I do hate when birds bump into our glass though... so glad there was a happy ending with yours.
Thanks for visiting my blog, till later, cheerio :D)

TexWisGirl said...

wow, the harris is awesome!

DeniseinVA said...

You have every right to be proud of your last shot Marie, it is brilliant! Your other photo is really neat also. Great sightings and great shots!

diane b said...

Fabulous hawks and you have them visit you. How wonderful.

Ela said...

Fantastic pictures of predator !!!
Have a nice Sunday :)

eileeninmd said...

Marie, great shots of the Hawks. The bottom shot is awesome! Have a great day!

Phil Slade said...

I'll bet that surprised the Cooper's Hawk. I would think that when that happens they learn from their mistakes, especially young birds.
I agree, the Harris Hawk is alovely picture. You captured a great pose Marie.

Kathy said...

That second shot is a prize winner!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Beautiful shot- it really upsets me when birds fly into my front window (it;s very large), and I always run out to check on them. It hasn't fazed any of them yet, but I can imagine it smarts a bit.

Debbie said...

WoW....the harris is such an awesome capture, you should be proud of that one!!!!

Brian King said...

Both of those hawks are beautiful! Great shots!

Unknown said...

Handsome birds! I love the second photo.

Anni said...

And you have every right to be proud of such a dazzling image of the H. Hawk, Marie, it's awesome.

Great images. Oh, and 76 degrees? Be still my heart. Here, it's barely reached 40 during the day for the past week, bah!!!

Thanks for sharing the link this weekend at I'd Rather B Birdin'

Mike said...

That is an awesome photo! Great action shot. We've had a few birds get stunned by the windows, as well.

Carletta said...

I think you did quite well! That last shot is pretty amazing.
This past week I saw a pair of Cooper Hawks in the small field between me and my neighbor. This is the second time I've seen them together. They perched too far for anything other than a 'they were here' photo. :)

John's Island said...

Hello Marie, You have an interesting blog here. Your header photo is awesome ... I wonder if it is in Alaska? The Harris Hawk is a great capture ... congrats! Thank you for stopping by my blog and your kind comments. Please come again. John

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

That is a GREAT shot!

I never get hawks in the backyard. Once, a forest hawk of some sort visited a tree by by the house in W.V. Scared all the birdies away from the feeder, but it didn't let me get a picture.
~

Anonymous said...

Wow! That Harris shot IS spectacular!

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

The Harris Hawk is a beauty. Would love to see one in person ... they are really quite amazing and one of the few raptors who are social and will hunt in groups. Sorry for your little Coopers Hawk ... hope he did okay long term. I have had one do the same on our window ... and I did get a picture of her on her back with a shocked look on her face ... she also recovered, thankfully. Nice post ...

Andrea @ From The Sol

Janet Shaw said...

What a great experience so see these birds. :) Congrats!

Neil said...

That is a beautiful shot.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Such a beautiful Hawk

NatureFootstep said...

you have all the right to be proud of that shot. It is very good and shows the bird well. :)

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Beautiful Hawk shots.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Me bring the Raptor lover that I am, really enjoyed this post. You were very fortunate to take them and do so well at it~

Christian Perrin said...

Wow, what an incredible photo of that Harris's Hawk! And it's a really striking bird too, with those chocolate coloured tones and flashes of white.

I bet the dove was happy you'd left your gate open that day! :)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Magnificent !

Breathtaking said...

Hello Marie!:) Thank you for your visit, and a very Happy New Year to you.

Both shots are great but the last one definately has the edge.:) No wonder the Cooper Hawk's feathers were ruffled. I had to put stickers on our windows when the grandkids were small to prevent them walking into the full length windows in our summer home, but we also have iron gates on all our windows in our permanent residence. I hate to see birds flying into windows.
Warm Regards.

Valerie said...

Great shots - In that last one I note that the bird is grasping the cactus with only its claws - a clever manoeuvre! (Thank you for dropping by my blog)