Psalm 19:1--The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth his handywork.


I wish to apologize to anyone who may be having trouble making comments on my posts. I appreciate your visit so much, and wish I could read what you have to say, but something is going on with my computer, and until I can get the issue addressed, this may continue. Please keep visiting! Also, often I cannot make a comment on some posts I look at, particularly those who ask for me to show I am a guest. I have noticed sometimes someone can only comment in the "Reply" section of another comment...if that's all that works, then that's fine! Let's keep visiting no matter what happens, and know we are touching each other with our creativity and thoughts and images even when we can't get (or leave) feedback. God bless you my dear blogger friends!


20 January 2015

The Yardbirds

Little play on words (you remember the band, the Yardbirds don't you?) :-)  for Wild Bird Wednesday.  Thanks to Stewart for providing such a great place to share wild birds we see and photograph.  Check it out!

Mourning dove

Mourning doves grabbing fallen thistle seed

Cactus wren

The White Crowned Sparrow doesn't usually come this far south but that almost has to be what this is.

Gambell's Quail

Gambell's Quail

Deviating from my yard a bit to show a Common Grackle in a nearby parking lot.

The roadrunners haven't been to visit me all year.  This shot is from my archives.


House Sparrow

Anna's Hummingbird


18 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Marie, Great selection of birds... Last week, a hawk visited my bird feeders... YIPES... BUT--I don't think it got any of my backyard birds. However, later about 4-5 Mourning Doves visited the feeders... I 'tried' to warn them --but not sure they listened.... Hope the hawk didn't have one of them for lunch...

Hugs,
Betsy

TexWisGirl said...

love the cactus wren and the quail! :) i've got a roadrunner up today, too, and just saw one scoot thru the yard to behind the barn yesterday.

Mersad said...

You have quite some visitors in your yard. I admire you for being patient enough to take all of these and collect them. I never luck out with wildlife photography.

Brian King said...

Fantastic variety! Love the little Cactus Wren! Roadrunners make me laugh!

DeniseinVA said...

A delightful variety of pretty birds. I remember seeing a Gambrel Quail when I was out that way, and its chicks. So adorable!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

What a nice selection of desert birds! I hope your roadrunners come back; I miss those crazy guys.

Unknown said...

Lovely birds! The doves are very pretty.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Love all the bird images but the Gambells is fantastic as I have never sen one before.

CountryMouse said...

What a variety of birds that visit you. That hummingbird is very pretty.

mick said...

A great series of photos of birds. They are all beautiful but I especially like the Hummingbirds which we don't have in this country at all.

Rohrerbot said...

WONDERFUL! Hope you are well. I love your collection of yard birds including that spectacular Cactus Wren. The one bird in that photo is a female Great-tailed Grackle. A Common Grackle would be rare. You could charge an entrance fee for birders to come and see that bird if it stopped at your place:) It has been crazy over here Marie. All my best:) And YES....you should definitely check out Coachline Lake. Take the Twin Peaks exit and head west to Coachline road. Hang a right on Coachline and drive a few minutes to the building with the blue roof. There is a dirt driveway lot behind the building. Hang a right and drive up to the large berm. Park and enjoy!:) Lots of fun birds there. Chris

George said...

I enjoyed the feathered visitors you have in your yard. I think your photos of the hummingbird are especially good.

BumbleVee said...

I've got so many house sparrows coming to the feeder that I'm trying to wean them.... I put out a lot less seed these days... they are hogs..... and, I think they are scaring off other cute birdies..not that they aren't sort of cute... but, my nuthatches and the chickadees hate having to fight for a seed every so often... they can hardly get near the thing....

Mary said...

Sweet, beautiful feathered friends - love that quail, never see those around here!
Hugs - Mary

Anonymous said...

What a nice collection of birds that visit you! :)

Thanks for stopping by to comment on my Mogollon Rim post. We enjoy visiting there - it's so beautiful!

Lindy

Breathtaking said...

What a great variety of birds you get in your yard Marie.With the exception for the sparrow,I don't see any of these birds.:(
Have a good Weekend.

NatureFootstep said...

your yard birds are really rare ones for me. I would love to see the quail and the roadrunner. Goreous birds :)

Bethany Carson said...

The quail is a very neat-looking bird. We don't have any in our area. Also, nice shots of the hummingbirds; I am missing them, but it's a good thing they're not in this part of the world this time of year!