Psalm 19:1--The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth his handywork.


I wish to apologize to anyone who may be having trouble making comments on my posts. I appreciate your visit so much, and wish I could read what you have to say, but something is going on with my computer, and until I can get the issue addressed, this may continue. Please keep visiting! Also, often I cannot make a comment on some posts I look at, particularly those who ask for me to show I am a guest. I have noticed sometimes someone can only comment in the "Reply" section of another comment...if that's all that works, then that's fine! Let's keep visiting no matter what happens, and know we are touching each other with our creativity and thoughts and images even when we can't get (or leave) feedback. God bless you my dear blogger friends!


03 January 2015

Hummingbird Feeders????

Many of you say you've never seen other birds drink nectar from the hummingbird feeders, but that is the normal way of things here in our Tucson yard.  Sharing with Wild Bird Wednesday and Bird d'Pot:


Phil in the UK had some interesting info on birds being able to smell on his WBW post this past week.  I think these song birds smell it when I've filled the hummingbird feeders.  That may also be how the hummers know the feeders are full.  It may not be visual at all.  Most people strongly suggest the use of red for the feeders (and even the nectar, which I strongly disagree with because red dye is not natural!  Nor is it needed) but in my experience, I have seen hummers feed from nectar feeders that are other colors, so I believe the olfactory sense is greater than most people have believed.  I hope you enjoy the video...this kind of "jockeying for position" goes on every day here! :-)

Just to show you it isn't just the house finches, it's also the house sparrows, the verdins (who love fruit and of course go for the little feeders out front on a regular basis) and even....




the Gila Woodpeckers who get into the act! :-)  Hope everyone has an awesome week!


38 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

the woodpecker is too cute but must cause a lot of spillage! i've had orioles and house finches visit mine (and dump a lot of sugar water, too.) :)

TexWisGirl said...

and, of course, squirrels!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Marie, it is cool seeing the woodpecker at your hummingbird feeder..Cool photos! Have a happy weekend!

Brian King said...

LOL! That's awesome! The woodpecker takes the cake!

Unknown said...

Wow, the woodpecker is quite an acrobat. Enjoy your weekend!

Betsy Brock said...

Isn't that amazing! I've never seen it before, either! I suppose it tastes like dessert to the ones that live on bugs and seed!

Anni said...

Oh yes...we've had orioles and woodpeckers [and ants and bees] sipping the nectar. And I so agree with you that no red dye is needed.

Yep, The Bird D'Pot has always been open at noon Texas time zone since it began.

Thanks for sharing your link today!! Always appreciated.

Kristin_Texas said...

I was thinking about our hummers just the other day. While I don't miss the hot temps we have while they're around, I do miss seeing them outside our kitchen window. We get loads of them at our house. They use our feeders, too, but ours seem to only like the ones that have the flat flowers/drinking holes on them. The one's that protrude... they usually ignore those. At least ours do. No clue why.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

What busy and active feeders you have! I've heard there is snow in AZ .. I hope you and your hummers and song birds are staying warm. I am not sure I even know what a verdin is ... Must look that up.

sunshine said...

Funny and beautiful photos.

NatureFootstep said...

haha, that´s cool. The woodpecker seem to have some trouble with it :)

Debbie said...

I don't use red food dye bi do use red hummingbird feeders. I also believe that they smell the sweet water and that they remember where feeders are located. My hammers come back every year, often before I have put my feeders out, so they must have a good memory!!

Stephanie said...

Love the video. Who knew that woodpeckers would like some nectar! Great images!

L. D. said...

The gila is a different bird for me. I at first thought it was a red bellied woodpecker. I really like seeing the hummers. No hummers around here as it just gets too cold.

Maggie Ann said...

Your pictures are awesome! I couldn't see the video.....my plug in has been blocked. sorry! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and are starting off the New Year with pleasure. We had a great time with our whole family here for Christmas. Our tree is down and I am reading books I got for Christmas. I can hardly tear myself away from reading! We have had a week of kind of mild temps and lots of sunshine...untill today....freezing rain this morning and lots of grey skies and rain all day. Hope your week is blessed!

carol l mck said...

Wonderful shots of the humming birds! and woodpecker!

artmusedog and carol

Bethany Carson said...

A woodpecker at a hummingbird feeder?! Now that is pretty neat! Loved watching the hummingbird as well.

Phil Slade said...

By feeding on your colorless nectar I think your birds proved a point there Marie. Debbie made a valid observation too, that birds have memories and some of your birds will be ones that visited previously.

It is so interesting that woodpeckers visit for the nectar too!

EG CameraGirl said...

A wannabe hummingbird!

rainfield61 said...

They see. They smell.

They sing.

They sing Happy New Year.

Michelle said...

That is a great shot of the woodpecker!

George said...

We've seen some other birds at our hummingbird feeders, but never a woodpecker. I enjoyed your photos and video.

Kathy said...

It's not the red of the food that attracts them because we've never had red hummingbird food. They may smell it but they are also attracted the flower colors. And yes, they do have wonderful memories. I have read that hummers often visit hundreds of flowers each day and they remember where every flower they have ever visited is. Amazing!
We should be mindful the next time we call someone a birdbrain! I certainly can't remember everywhere I've picked up a hamburger in my life!

Ela said...

Wow ! Just gorgeous birds !!!
And your shots are excellent !
Have a nice week !

Bev said...

LOL..that woodpecker is too cute! We have a feeder down here and love our hummingbirds...I've see one other bird try to use it...but it never worked. I've never seen a flinch so far...

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Aw! love this! Great photos - these birds are determined acrobats! xo Karen

Mersad said...

Great shots of the bird feeder. I wish you a Happy New Year!

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

DeniseinVA said...

Fascinating to learn all this. I have always loved hummers and your photos are great.

Rajesh said...

Wonderful shots of the birds on the feeder.

HansHB said...

A beautiful post for WBW!
Happy New Year to you!

mick said...

A lovely variety of birds at your feeder. Great to see them all coming in for their turn.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

I found it interesting that on the video the bigger birds had first turns over the Hummingbirds.

Crafty Green Poet said...

funny to see the woodpecker on the hummer feeder!

I've only once seen a humming bird (on a childhood holiday to California) but I've never forgotten it.

Anonymous said...

Love that woodpecker. I always have small birds, like Chickadees and Goldfinches, drinking water from the ant moat.

tiptoethruphylsgarden.blogspot.com said...

Comical pictures! Thanks for sharing!phyllis

betty-NZ said...

Everybody wants in on the act!! Great shots!

Jenn Jilks said...

A lot of birds like nectar. Around here they are big, though. And now they are gone for the winter!!!

Hannah said...

God designed red tubular flowers for hummingbirds, but that certainly doesn't mean we should feed them poisonous red dyes, so I applaud your colorless sugar water. That's funny that the other birds like it, I love seeing the woodpecker at the feeder. I plant lots of runner beans every year with red flowers that the hummers really love.