Psalm 19:1--The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth his handywork.


I wish to apologize to anyone who may be having trouble making comments on my posts. I appreciate your visit so much, and wish I could read what you have to say, but something is going on with my computer, and until I can get the issue addressed, this may continue. Please keep visiting! Also, often I cannot make a comment on some posts I look at, particularly those who ask for me to show I am a guest. I have noticed sometimes someone can only comment in the "Reply" section of another comment...if that's all that works, then that's fine! Let's keep visiting no matter what happens, and know we are touching each other with our creativity and thoughts and images even when we can't get (or leave) feedback. God bless you my dear blogger friends!


27 January 2015

C is for Chicken

Joining in with ABC Wednesday, thanking Denise for this awesome meme; with Eileen's Saturday's Critters, thanking her as well; and Misty's Camera Critters, with big thanks!  Come by each of these wonderful link-ups!

C is for Chicken

When we lived in Texas I had a pet rooster, a white leghorn.  He was given to me by a friend whose sister had chickens and felt she had too many roosters in her pen and wanted to thin them out.  I was supposed to get two, but one got away from her in the process of his capture, and made his way into the woods.  When they brought me my rooster, I promptly named him Lonesome George because, sadly,  he had no other chickens to be with.  There were lots of other animals nearby, including cows and horses and (alas) a cacophony of wild animals that included coyotes, foxes and owls (not to mention snakes!) and I wanted him to be able to roost at night in a small pen I devised but he wouldn't use it.  If we came home after dark, he'd be roosting in the tree next to the house, and I felt like he was relatively safe there.

George took to dominating our 95 pound Rhodesian Ridgeback because he had no one else to bully, and Penny let her get away with it because she had such a sweet personality. If I sat outside in a lawn chair, he would come very close, and I could reach down and stroke his feathers very lightly.  I think he was somewhat bonded to me.  He also was extremely gentle with our two/three year old (at the time) grandson.  But, it wasn't the best of circumstances, and eventually George met an untimely end.  Our landlord (the owner of the ranch) found his body out by some of his farm buildings and let us know.  We had had George almost two years though, and I enjoyed having him as a pet.  As you can see, he was a lovely leghorn rooster...



16 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Lonesome George is a handsome rooster. Sorry he had an untimely end! Enjoy your day!

Linda Kay said...

Marie, what a beautiful rooster. When I was a girl back on the farm, the chickens were my responsibility to feed and water, collect eggs, etc.

TexWisGirl said...

a handsome fellow. yes, too many predators abound that'll get chickens eventually if they won't cooperate (or would that be coop-erate? :))

Indrani said...

Such a unique pet, handsome too.
Happy ABCW!

Lovable Derek said...

Thanks for this lovely post about Gorgeous George.

Have a nice day.

ChrisJ said...

We had a bantam hen who belonged next door for 10 months. He preferred our birdseed and roosted in the Olive tree between our homes. I documented it all on my blog several years ago. What fun!

Ingrid said...

What a cute but unfortunately not a happy end story !

EG CameraGirl said...

I bet George had a happy two years with you.

Latane Barton said...

Oh, poor Lonesome George. It's so sad when you lose a pet to such a bad end. I had a bantam rooster when I was small. Don't think I ever named him, though. and he died from something... got sick. What illnesses do Roosters get!!!

Rose said...

He is a handsome fellow...or I should was. too bad about his short life!

ellen b. said...

Ahh...poor George. Good choice for the letter C!

Roger Owen Green said...

Denise would appreciate this post!

ROG, ABCW

Joy said...

Nice story of Lonesome George. We used to have a roaming chicken that used to visit for her ongoing eating (came quite a way) and was so friendly but then appeared no more the owner told us she had walked her last road.

Linda said...

Wonderful story and accompanying photos.

Bethany Carson said...

He does look like a handsome rooster. A couple times we had too many roosters, and have given away a few to nice people like you...and we've wondered what their eventual fate was. I do understand how that other rooster got away though--sometimes it takes quite a chase to capture them.
Sorry to hear of his untimely death.

Glennis said...

Nice snowy white Rooster.