Psalm 19:1--The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth his handywork.


I wish to apologize to anyone who may be having trouble making comments on my posts. I appreciate your visit so much, and wish I could read what you have to say, but something is going on with my computer, and until I can get the issue addressed, this may continue. Please keep visiting! Also, often I cannot make a comment on some posts I look at, particularly those who ask for me to show I am a guest. I have noticed sometimes someone can only comment in the "Reply" section of another comment...if that's all that works, then that's fine! Let's keep visiting no matter what happens, and know we are touching each other with our creativity and thoughts and images even when we can't get (or leave) feedback. God bless you my dear blogger friends!


27 January 2015

Vermilion Flycatcher

For Stewart's wonderful bird meme, Wild Bird Wednesday, and then Anni's awesome Bird d'Pot meme I have some shots of the vermilion flycatcher.  These first two were taken five years ago in a park where I was with our grandson:



Being underneath I couldn't show this beautiful bird to its best advantage, but on Saturday evening Russell and I went to Coachline Lake on Chris Rhorer's recommendation (if you have never visited Chris at Las Aventuras, you are MISSING OUT!  Click on this LINK to see his great blog).  We were hoping to see the pair of snow geese that is currently there, and other wetland birds.  I will be posting what we saw on another day, but today I want to concentrate on the vermilion flycatchers that were swooping and catching the many tiny insects that were flying about.  We saw at least two flycatchers and though I couldn't get close enough to get a good close-up I do have different angles from the two photos above:


Cropped section of above photo.  All the birds shown are adult or possibly juvenile males because males achieve adult plumage in mid-winter. 


Showing the red head visible from the back, with the dark wings and tail.

Resting between dives for insects.




24 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

This little bird would take my breath away. He is a little stunner and your photos are fantastic Marie.

eileeninmd said...

They are beautiful birds, I love their colors.. Awesome sighting and photos..

sunshine said...

Stunning colors and beautiful photos.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

This is such a beautiful little bird.

Debbie said...

what an exciting find and such a pretty pop of color!!!!!

TexWisGirl said...

so darn beautiful! and cute, too!

Bethany Carson said...

They have remarkably brilliant and beautiful feathers! Excellent captures, Marie!

Rohrerbot said...

Thanks Marie for the shoutout! What a gorgeous bird! No matter how many times I see this flycatcher, I smile. Gorgeous photos. We are really lucky in Tucson to have the highest number of these birds in the nation during our winter months!

Amy Burzese said...

So pretty! The red is beautiful. Would love to see one in person!

Ela said...

Such beautiful birds ! Lovely photos !
Greetings

Anonymous said...

What a beauty!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Really great Marie! We saw our first vermillion flycatchers in AZ and haven't seen them anywhere else! So pretty.

Brian King said...

What a gorgeous bird!

Lois said...

You got some wonderful shots of this beautiful little bird! Another bird I have never seen in person before.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

love the bright color on these!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How spectacular! I showed the pics to my hubby....we've never seen one of these EVER! WOW! What a beautiful bird! Hugs, Diane

Unknown said...

Wow, the colour is gorgeous!

Breathtaking said...

Hello Marie!:) What a most beautiful little bird.Both male and female have lovely coloured plumage. Great find and photos of the precious Flycatcher.
Regards.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

What a sweet chap this is, adorable bird~

mick said...

Great photos of those Vermilion Flycatchers. Amazing color and I can just imagine them swooping after flies.

Stewart M said...

What a great bird - I saw one in Arizona last year - but I had to lie on my back and stare into the canopy of (believe it or not) Australian Gum trees in a park to watch it!!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

PS: the shipment of people to Australia really was about social enginering by the wealthy.

Rose said...

I have not read this post...got to finish getting ready to go here in a bit..just have to tell you this one beautiful bird!

tiptoethruphylsgarden.blogspot.com said...

A striking bird, he really stands out. I like how you were able to show his size in your photos, sometimes I can`t tell how large a bird is by just a close-up,thanks for sharing,Phyllis

Suburban Girl said...

Gorgeous birds.