Psalm 19:1--The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth his handywork.


I wish to apologize to anyone who may be having trouble making comments on my posts. I appreciate your visit so much, and wish I could read what you have to say, but something is going on with my computer, and until I can get the issue addressed, this may continue. Please keep visiting! Also, often I cannot make a comment on some posts I look at, particularly those who ask for me to show I am a guest. I have noticed sometimes someone can only comment in the "Reply" section of another comment...if that's all that works, then that's fine! Let's keep visiting no matter what happens, and know we are touching each other with our creativity and thoughts and images even when we can't get (or leave) feedback. God bless you my dear blogger friends!


25 February 2017

A Special Event

Back in about 1979 I attended a "Lunch With the Author" event in Lubbock, Texas where I heard a talk by Irving Stone, and asked him to sign my copy of The President's Lady.  It had been a very special day for me as Irving Stone was one of my favorite writers then.  See his biography HERE.  Writing as I do, in small ways, with a hope of a finished and published book one day, certain authors have become my "rock stars" over the years. 

(A couple of years ago Stone's  The Greek Treasure was also mentioned on my blog)

Fast forward to yesterday in Bend, Oregon, where the Deschutes Public Library was hosting "The Craft of Writing with Anthony Doerr."  It was to be an hour of insights and looks at the craft by someone who is now one of my favorite writers as well.  Yes, there was to be another presentation and wine & cheese reception that night, but I chose to attend the workshop only.  Hopeful for a chance to have my copy of All the Light We Cannot See signed by him, and Yvonne's copy of Four Seasons in Rome (given to her for Christmas by Mom who was the person who read Doerr's work first and recommended him to us!) also signed, and with camera in hand for a quick "afterward" shot, I entered a room of about fifty people, anxious to hear what he would have to say. 
 
His Pulitzer Prize winning book that is a must-read!!!
 

I took my seat in the second row, and right on time he entered the room, very casual and friendly, very modest and unassuming.  He immediately connected with everyone in the room.  The first thing he did was have us do a short writing exercise, then several people read theirs out loud.  Then we followed along on a handout we had each been given, with excerpts of different writing passages, and quotes as well by different authors.  And I learned so much!!!!  I felt that in that single hour he covered the most important aspects of serious writing.  The time came to a close, and he took a number of questions.  I knew he would be leaving very quickly, as we had been told he would, and I wasn't sure he would take the time to do any book signings...but there he sat, ready and willing.  So kind and interested in the person handing him their book.  When I told him my Mom had gotten us interested in his work, he asked "Where is Mom?" and I told him Virginia.  I said the one for Yvonne had been Mom's Christmas gift to her, and he seemed very pleased.  I left feeling very full emotionally.  It was very special.  And I walked out of there saying to myself...WHY am I not writing every day!?  He said even fifteen minutes, if that's all you have.  It's like exercise, you have to keep doing it.  I felt like I waste so much time, and that has to end.

My candid shot of Anthony Doerr speaking to an attendee at the workshop.  He had put his coat on again at the end, preparing to leave, but sat right down when he saw the line forming of about fifteen people wanting books signed!  He is a really nice guy!

For a bio on Anthony Doerr click HERE.

No comments: