This one bush has been a huge blessing.
First, let me tell you about the Texas Sage...It is also called Texas Ranger, Texas Rain Sage, Cenizo, Texas Silverleaf, Ash-bush, Wild Lilac, Purple Sage, Senisa, Cenicilla, Palo Cenizo, Hierba del Cenizo It is the proverbial "purple sage" of movies and lore. But it is not a true sage of the genus salvia. It is Leucophyllum frutescens. Year round it has lovely silvery green leaves and then after the barometer drops, and rain has presented itself, this lovely hardy hard-wood shrub blooms into lavender purple profusion. Here's what it looks like now. It has been pruned, which is a good idea in the fall to maximize the blooms next summer.
And at almost any time of day, these branches are adorned with house sparrows and house finches...
| You can see how complex the branches are...makes great places for the birds to hide. |
| Even the doves love the Texas Sage bush! |
26 comments:
cute little cover-takers. had 3 small sage bushes here but lost them in a drought one year.
That purple sage is so beautiful in bloom, but it seems to happen so seldom. Anyway it seems to be a great spot for hanging out for the birds.
Linking to tow memes seems fine to me!
Nice to have a bird apartment block in your garden.
Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne
Sweet, love your photos. Sorry you have had trouble with the link. I'm taking it that you mean with Today's Flowers? I just checked it out and see all the entries in there today and it seems to be working now at 10.11 p.m. Saturday night? Keeping my fingers crossed that this will be okay now. Let me know if you have a problem. If you would also like to send me a photo at luvinwildlife@gmail.com I can link it up for you? Just a thought.
It's like a giant birdhouse!
That is home sweet home to these sparrows.
The birdies must love this sage bush. It is a good hiding place for the birds. Great photos! Happy Sunday!
As soon as I saw the first picture I understood why the Sage Bush is so popular. As you show us it is a great place for birds to hide from all those predators and also somewhere to shelter from the elements, sun, rain, snow or wind.I guess when it blooms there's always food in the way of insects too. Every home should have one Marie.
Oh, I want a Texas sage bush!! Let's see, I wonder if there is room on my balcony for it (grin)
Wonderful nature shots and love the birds in the Texas sage brush ~
Happy Day to you,
artmusedog and carol
We were in Texas for Thanksgiving and saw lots of cactus about to bloom., but didn't see sage. May have seen it and didn't know what it was. Cute birds
who needs a birdhouse, this looks like a GREAT spot to call home!!!!
Great post and pretty birds Marie. Glad your link problem went away. Sometimes I think the servers get worked on during certain times and it puts a spanner in the works occasionally.
In my opinion that is what memes are for...to link any/all that pertain to the post subject. The more the merrier they say.
Now the birds....this was so awesome. You got some great photos Marie.
We have a Texas Sage also. I finally got fed up with it that Bud was convinced to chop it out at the ground level. It's coming back now, and I hope he'll keep it under control. When it rains/the bush blooms...the blossoms smell like urine. LOLOL But the BEES love it.
Yep, I noticed the meme linking tool wasn't working last night and no doubt a glitch in their server.
Happy week ahead to you sweet Marie.
Beautiful photos, sometimes this type bushes are a pub for birds.
Thank you for sharing your blessings and opening our eyes to our own
ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
<3
Cute little birds! It's great to have some bushes for the birds to hide in.
What a delightful gift! What fun!
I have never seen Purple Sage before, quite interesting. What a great place for the birds and what a variety you captured.
What a wonderful thing to have in your yard Marie! You are so lucky.
I love to watch birds, especially my garden visitors. I love your last pic of the dove Marie - I had several under the bird feeder this afternoon, busy picking up the fallen seeds dropped by other sweet birds.
Yes, would love to visit our family members in Arizona again - perhaps next year - will let you know!
Happy holidays - love, Mary
Oh how I love seeing these little birds! Thanks for sharing.
It must be so fun to just watch those birds! There is a hedge by my bank that houses at least 50 birds. Every time I go to the bank, I would stop and watch the birds flying in and out. They make me smile. Have a great week, Marie.
Oh, these are beautiful birds !
Greetings
What a nice bush for the birds to have their meetings!
this looks very much like some place in Morocco. Too thick greenary to get shots of birds hiding in them.
Post a Comment