In keeping with completing the photos from the trip, I start with the view we had as we entered the Sonoran Desert in July, almost home. Saguaros, unique to the Sonoran Desert of Arizona and Mexico, (and Wikipedia says also in small amounts to a desert section of California) are unique and fascinating cactus. The word saguaro is a Mayo or Yoreme Indian word, a Native American group from Mexico.
Saguaros grow from seed, very slowly. Some live more than 150 years and can get as tall as 40 to 60 feet. Their bloom is the state flower of Arizona. When the saguaro in my yard grew two arm buds this year and bloomed for the first time, it meant the plant is at least 50 years old. Here is a photo of my few blooms (with white winged dove)...
These next three photos were taken at the Audubon Preserve here in Tucson.
Interesting saguaro shots from my archives....
| This is an example of cresting (see my part I saguaro post for explanation) |
22 comments:
The cactus are sort of weird and wonderful at the same time. A great subject for photography too with all the changes in light and angles to work with. that flower looked so familiar and I remember seeing them in Egypt where they are used as ornamental plants in the grounds of hotels and where birds feed on the nectar (on my blog - Egypt.)
amazing, grand, odd, eerie, beautiful. all of the above. :)
Wonderful series of images of the place. Nice cactus plants.
Great post and photos, Marie! The Saguaro is a cool looking plant. I love how they grow..Thanks for sharing, have a great day!
Those White-winged Doves seem very well adapted to life among the saguaros. They enjoy their fruit, as I noticed when I visited Tucson.
Gorgeous photos! These blossoms are amazing!
interesting cactus plants and a beautiful dove :)
They almost seem to be posed..such strange formations.
The dove shot is so pretty! They are like living sculpture.
Love the photo of the dove! Those are some pretty neat-looking cactuses!
Such beautiful country! That's a great shot of the dove!
We have visited out west several times. I always love seeing these cacti!
They sure are interesting plants and they must be very old too. Love the bloom and dove.
That dove on the cactus is sweet.
~
These Saguaros are absolutely fantastic. Thanks for sharing so many beautiful photos.
They are fascinating plants. I absolutely adore the one with the blooms and the dove resting on them.
I really like cacti.
(I have little in the pot)
:))
Those are really great shots of the cacti. Everytime I see a picture of them I think of our time with Mom when we went to Tucson. So glad I took her.
Great photos Marie, those cacti are certainly magnificent!
Awesome images of those huge cacti! Amazing plants.
I love these unique settings (at least to me they are). It's like a forest out of cacti.
Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography
I've always wanted to see these guys for myself, but will probably never get to, so thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment