Psalm 19:1--The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth his handywork.


I wish to apologize to anyone who may be having trouble making comments on my posts. I appreciate your visit so much, and wish I could read what you have to say, but something is going on with my computer, and until I can get the issue addressed, this may continue. Please keep visiting! Also, often I cannot make a comment on some posts I look at, particularly those who ask for me to show I am a guest. I have noticed sometimes someone can only comment in the "Reply" section of another comment...if that's all that works, then that's fine! Let's keep visiting no matter what happens, and know we are touching each other with our creativity and thoughts and images even when we can't get (or leave) feedback. God bless you my dear blogger friends!


02 August 2013

5 Random Tidbits


It is Friday and I want to participate in Random Five Fridays with Nancy, our fearless leader,  and all the other great participants.  Be sure to click on the link!  You will learn some fascinating things about all of us, and perhaps you could join in as well.

1.  Maybe not so fascinating about me, but at least mildly interesting! :-)  I was told I learned to walk on the seat of a car on a cross-country trip!  We crossed this wonderful country as a family several times when I was little.  Daddy was in the Navy.  There were short sojourns in San Diego, CA and Panama City, FL as well as visits in between back and forth to and from Alabama which was home.  Back then you didn't wear seatbelts.  I can just see me crawling all over the seat between Mom and Dad! :-)  I could hold onto the back of the seat and walk when we were stopped at a light. (Scary thoughts! :-) ) At some point when the car was still (I am sure!) I took a couple of unassisted steps.  I guess I'm a little gypsy! :-)


2.  Speaking of seatbelts, Russell and I were adamant about using them even before it was very popular, or later mandantory.  We were headed to Smith Lake, I think, in Alabama with my two sisters and my brother who were all still kids.  Susan was about seven or eight. She was sitting in the back seat and refused to put her seatbelt on.  So Russell moved forward then hit the breaks and bounced her off the back of the seat.  She cried of course, but put her seatbelt on! :-)  Some time later, at Blackwater Creek, she was on his shoulders wading out into the water, because she couldn't swim.  He came to a drop-off and plop, went under, which wouldn't have been a big deal except she panicked and crawled up on top of his head, holding him under! :-)  (Hmmm...paybacks?:-) ) It took a minute or two to get her off his head so he could get some air.  She just turned 50.  That blows my mind!  She is my beautiful, intelligent wonderful sister about whom I plan to do a post a little downroad.


3.  Baking seems to be in our family....my Mom and I have both had our stints with decorating cakes (including wedding cakes) years ago and eventually gave it up.  But, my other sister, Shirley, turned her talent into a business and has sold baked goods, cakes (including wedding) and other goodies out of her health dept. certified home for quite a number of years.  She has an Easter Open House when she sells panorama eggs, fudge, chick cookies and carrot cakes as well as other wonderful things, and that is anticipated greatly by all her loyal customers every year.  She also sells gingerbread houses every Christmas season. I am very proud of her wonderful talents and business sense!....Then there is my daughter.  She is the pastry chef at Union Public House here in Tucson, which won "Best Desserts" in Tucson Lifestyles magazine a few months ago!  Talk about proud!  She rocks!

The cake Shirley made for her own wedding...yep, I said her OWN wedding!

Our daughter working on cookie dough for her hubby's birthday.

The filet mignon cake she made him.
4.  Shirley is also an excellent seamstress, making many Beauty Walk gowns for people and making our daughter's prom dress.  She gets it from our grandmother, I think. I sew, but don't consider myself very accomplished, though I used to make all of Yvonne's Easter dresses and Halloween costumes. Mom always sewed for us, even making tiny Barbie doll clothes. She and I are the quilters.

5.  And a little tidbit that connects to my last post about the telegraph cable.  Because Krakatoa exploded and no longer exists, I posted a photo of Mt. Bromo is Java, which is also a volcano.  I read in the book that even today the locals follow the belief that sacrifices to the volcano gods will keep a volcano from erupting, and since throwing children or virgins into the lava is frowned upon these days, they throw chickens into Mt. Bromo.  I thought that was pretty amusing! (I don't guess the chickens think that's too funny, though)

10 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

have never taken to cooking, baking or sewing! :) put me on a lawn tractor and i'm happy!

Latane Barton said...

My goodness, you are filled with memories today. And, I forgot it was Friday and posted something else. think I will go back and do one on Random five.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

i think it would be fun to make your own wedding cake - why not? i bet it would be a bit of pressure to be perfect. but fun all the same. i enjoy baking ... but not sure i would be great at wedding cakes. but i would sure try. ( :

have a great weekend. big big hugs.

Mary said...

I love to bake too! It's wonderful. I feel i've really accomplished something when i make something that my husband enjoys. My love of baking is NOT so good for our waistlines. LOL. So i'm working on finding lower fat and calorie recipes. But butter is just so darned good! That's a great filet mignon cake your daughter made. :) And that wedding cake is quite something, and i'm sure it was delicious.

Karen Lakis said...

I wish I loved baking - I sure do like eating baked good - hmmm, well, maybe it's just as well that I don't bake. It's wonderful that your family is talented, though! What, no virgins in the volcano?!? When did that happen? ;-) have a wonderful weekend!

Lynn said...

What an interesting five-lots of talent and fun in your family.I love to bake, cook, eat, and am baking a chocolate zucchini loaf :-)

Anonymous said...

Back then, no car seats, no seat belts. Our generation seems to have survived that period, but I do wonder how many children were inadvertently killed in accidents back then?

Great post Marie -- thanks for sharing this week. xo

Ann said...

Beautiful sister!! Seems like all of your are very talented. I've never tried cake baking but have a sister that does. Seat belts are life savers for sure.
Ann

Vores have said...

Beautiful wedding cake you show Marie. Wishing you and your a good Monday / good new week :) Hugs Hanne Bente ♥

Anne Payne said...

Those non-seatbelt days were kind of scary. I went through the windshield at two and only have a teeny tiny scar at the edge of my eye. My mom decorated cakes! And she sewed all our clothes when we were little. When I had my girls she sewed for them too. I can sew but it's not enjoyable to me. Love your Random 5!!!