Psalm 19:1--The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth his handywork.


I wish to apologize to anyone who may be having trouble making comments on my posts. I appreciate your visit so much, and wish I could read what you have to say, but something is going on with my computer, and until I can get the issue addressed, this may continue. Please keep visiting! Also, often I cannot make a comment on some posts I look at, particularly those who ask for me to show I am a guest. I have noticed sometimes someone can only comment in the "Reply" section of another comment...if that's all that works, then that's fine! Let's keep visiting no matter what happens, and know we are touching each other with our creativity and thoughts and images even when we can't get (or leave) feedback. God bless you my dear blogger friends!


04 April 2013

This Week's Fun Fences and My Random 5!

Fridays Fences is always one of the highlights of my week!  I didn't have any current photos so my grandson and I did a little drive through a neighborhood yesterday and came up with these....(Click on the link to visit others and see lots more fences!) My Random 5 Friday list is below the fences....

Lots of charm here!

Very southwestern themed gate!

This is like a fairytale...great gate but also that HOUSE! :-)

This was a combination of interesting things ON the fence, and the style of the fence itself.

More great blue!

This fence was such an unusual style....

Here it is with blooming cactus beside it, near the gate.

I've been stalking this one for quite a while...it's right on Campbell near the hospital and I was always out of position to get a photo from the car.  So, I just went around the corner, parked and walked back to it.  Notice the fountain inside the courtyard!

A lovely pink wall with cross and interesting wooden gate.
Another meme I greatly enjoy every Friday is Nancy's Random 5 Fridays.  It's lots of fun to learn so much about each other.  Click on the link and check it out!

Here are my five:

1.  Someone else mentioned a town's origins on their blog and it reminded me that when we lived in Texas, we lived near a town whose name was pronounced exactly like our last name but spelled "Carmine".  We learned that it had originally been spelled like our name (ending in "mean"), but had been changed when mail kept getting mixed up with Cameron, TX.  The man they had named it after had our last name of Carmean, and the whole time we lived near there I kept wishing I could get someone to change it back!

2.  Another town very close to there was Dime Box, Texas.  I learned it was named that because during the polio epidemic, children collected dimes to help children out who had been striken with the disease, placing their dimes in their mailboxes to be picked up by the mail man.  It was likely the origins of the "March of Dimes" and gave Dime Box its unusual name!

3.  Once we wanted to go canoeing, and weren't actually dressed for such an excursion, but rented the canoe on a lovely little lake.  My hubby got in first, then our three year old daughter.  We were boarding off a pier, which is not the best way to do so, and as I was last, I managed to step in and gently push the canoe away from the dock in the process....you guessed it!  It was one of those AFV moments, and I started to do the splits, slapped the water with my arms and flipped the canoe, dumping my hubby and quite terrified toddler with me into the drink!

4.  We once lived in an old log cabin in the winter, with the chinking all crumbled away, and the cold air permeating every square inch of the place.  The only heat we had was the fireplace, and since we did have electricity, we used an electric blanket, and would actually dress under the covers before getting out of bed!  We had a  doxie and her puppies and we would leave a small fire for them in the fireplace when we left the house.  When we arrived home, the fire would be out and all the puppies would be inside the fireplace, covered in soot.

5.  I used to do cake decorating years ago, and sold not only birthday cakes, but also wedding and anniversary cakes for a while.  I even taught a cake decorating class for Adult Education through Texas Tech University.  When my husband graduated from Pilot Training in the Air Force, I made the four tiered graduation cake, covered in the color flow state flags of all the graduates, and with the class patch on the top tier.  My hubby hand painted the eagle that was the cake topper.  It was served as dessert after the graduation dinner.  Here's a photo:


29 comments:

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Love those wonderful fences and gates today, Marie! They are so unique and beautiful.
I loved getting to know you a little better from your post today! Some interesting and funny memories! I love the story of the canoe. A very nice cake, too!
Hugs, xoxo

Birgitta said...

Very nice photo series!

Elizabeth Edwards said...

love the fairy tale fence. that is a great one. neat house too.

what a gorgeous cake - love all the details. you have such knowledge. i guess like some say "a jack of all trades" ... too cool!! ( :

Janis said...

Love the fences...especially the blue ones!

Rose said...

Oh, gee, you posted some great pics...and you have lead an interesting life!

Carver said...

Wonderful shots of the fences and I enjoyed your random 5 too.

Brian King said...

I never cease to be impressed by the gates and fences there! The blue is my favorite! I normally don't go for the "loud" obvious decor, but I like that. Very cool stuff!

TexWisGirl said...

that cake is impressive! wow!

love all the gates and fences you found. the 4th one with the metal 'coyote fencing' was my favorite this week.

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

Wow, that cake is fabulous! You are talented!

I love the variety of fences you found--people are so creative with something that could be so bland.

Loved your canoe story--adventures like that are fun to remember!

I enjoyed your Random 5--thank you for sharing! :-)

Donna said...

Look At That Cake Girl!!! Beautiful!
You need to start doing those again! Gorgeous work...
And I'm NOT laughing at you doing the splits...I am Not...Hahaaaa
Happy weekend friend!
hughugs

Faye said...

There's something to appreciate in each one of your selections this week, Marie. That wonderful blue-green accent color of the first fence, the take-off on a twig fence, and--my favorite--the mosaic gate arch and that minimalist cross on the pink house. Such originality! And how much fun it must have been to have a photographer's assistant for this day.

You have an unusual family name--what is its origin? I too have dabbled with cake decorating in a former life--only roses and basketweave. Nothing so grand as your masterpiece.

Gerald (SK14) said...

fences 2 and 6 are my favourites

Latane Barton said...

Great fences as always, marie.
Now that must have been a sight to see, the three of you in the drink!! You have lived in some very interesting places!! Take care. Mom

Candy C. said...

I love all the fences and gates and that castle house but I REALLY love your Random 5! What a beautiful cake and you had me laughing with the canoe story! :)

Anonymous said...

Nice fences, gates & castle turrets... oh my! =)
WoW! That's one gorgeous cake!

Sharon said...

I especially love all the bright blue on the gates, against the desert colors. Thanks for inviting me to join Friday's Fences! What a fun link party!

Mary said...

Beautiful photos! And wonderful cake. :)

George said...

I'm very impressed with that cake you made for the graduation. That was a real work of art. You found some beautiful fences and gates this week.

Vores have said...

Beautiful photo shoot showing Marie. The cake looks really nice out. Wish you a good weekend :) Hugs Hanne Bente

Pamela Gordon said...

Hi Marie. There are some very beautiful and unique fences and gates where you live! I really enjoyed your fun facts. They were quite interesting and the special cake is a masterpiece. Have a great Saturday! Pamela

Unknown said...

I love your beautiful fences. Your neighborhood is lovely.

don said...

I liked your trip around your neighborhood to get this series. Very well done.

Halcyon said...

Lots of neat gates and fences,but what I find sad is that people feel that they need so much 'security'.

Carletta said...

I want to move there and I want the fairytale house!! :)
Love reading your random notes. The puppy story is just too cute.
Sounds so cold.
Quite an impressive cake my dear!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Very cool gates and fences- I liked them all, and you are very talented with cake decorating..I would never dare attempt one like that- it would fall over.

EG CameraGirl said...

I always enjoy seeing the fences in your area! You find so many unusual ones.

That's some cake you decorated!

DeniseinVA said...

Oh wow Marie, your cake is so impressive. I wish I could have ordered one off you when Gregg retired from the navy :) Loved the fences and the five. A real interesting post. Hope you had a great weekend.

Maggid said...

Your life seems Rich and Full of Love and Adventure. AND - i wonder if you take a look at all the amazing skills you have.

You Are One Impressive lady.

-g-

Paula said...

Wow~ those are all great! And that blue one is really.... BLUE!! *haha*