1. When I was young I wanted a horse so badly, but my Dad was in the Navy and we moved a lot, and often lived in base housing, plus we didn't have extra money for a pet of that size. Needless to say, my dream was never realized. I have some great memories of horses, however, from my childhood. I had a few chances to ride, and be around horses and it always meant a lot to me.
My siblings, however, after my Dad retired from the Navy and moved back to Alabama, became the owners of several ponies. I wasn't jealous of their good fortune. I was already married and living away from them at this point. I was just happy for them. They also owned a horse at one time named Charlie. My hubby and I rode Charlie a few times when we were there visiting. I still love horses, as I suppose all girls and women do, and I always will but I have moved on....
![]() |
| My youngest sister had just been thrown, saddle and all. She was NOT happy! Her little friend looks pretty amused, though. :-) |
3. When our grandson was small, he lived for a short time in a cabin with his Mom and the owner there had a donkey who attached himself to our grandson and would bray at the gate if we had it closed and locked, wanting to see our little "Christopher Robin" so he could be "Eyeore."
4. The friends who so kindly took care of our wonderful dog Penny right before she died also had a sweet horse named King.
5. I don't see horses often in Tucson, though we do have friends who own horses who live an hour away (I just don't have any photos of them yet) but when we went to Madera Canyon almost a year and a half ago and came back through the Sonoita wine area, we saw these horses near one of the wineries.
That's another interesting fact about Southern Arizona that you may not have known...there are wineries! And that area reminded me a lot of parts of California where wineries abound. They are at a higher elevation than we are here in Tucson too.







14 comments:
Beautiful equine shots! I always love seeing donkey, don't know why! That is a sweet shot of the donkey and your grandson!
Nice post
Loved your horse stories. I like to look at them but not ride them after I was thrown off the very first time I got on a horse and suffered concussion for a week.
Loved all the horses and stories. I hope you enjoy the weekend.
I love horses, but as you said, keeping a horse is expensive.
That's a nice set of stories and photos, Marie.
My older sister always wanted a horse when we were little, but she never got one either. Now she has a bunch of dogs almost as big (Irish wolfhounds).
~
What beautiful animals !! I love them !!
Happy weekend :)
Hello Marie, I love horses and the donkeys too. Cute shots of your sister and your grandson. Wonderful photos and post. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!
Hi! The your grandson and the donkey's photos are very cute. Thanks for sharing.
Such a cute story of the donkey and your grandson, animals are so surprising. I've always thought donkeys were so cute. I rode horses a little at summer camp, and wanted one too, but that never happened.
Hi Marie,
I loved looking at all the horses and donkeys. In particular, the photos of your family, are very cute.
Nice share!
Have a Beautiful Day!
Peace :)
both two and four legged seem to enjoy the day :)
Wonderful photos! Our neighbour had a horse, Lady, when I was little. She was a friendly little beauty who always seemed to be on the wrong side of the fence...
I love horses and was blessed to be able to have horses as a child. I even rode barrels in the rodeo. My daddy was in WWII/ He was a cowboy, and one of his greatest desires was to get a pony for me when he got home. He did, and later horses. We had a great time together, Daddy and me! Thanks for visiting my blog!
Post a Comment