Psalm 19:1--The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth his handywork.


I wish to apologize to anyone who may be having trouble making comments on my posts. I appreciate your visit so much, and wish I could read what you have to say, but something is going on with my computer, and until I can get the issue addressed, this may continue. Please keep visiting! Also, often I cannot make a comment on some posts I look at, particularly those who ask for me to show I am a guest. I have noticed sometimes someone can only comment in the "Reply" section of another comment...if that's all that works, then that's fine! Let's keep visiting no matter what happens, and know we are touching each other with our creativity and thoughts and images even when we can't get (or leave) feedback. God bless you my dear blogger friends!


07 August 2015

Willy Nilly's Back!

I have also begun connecting with Five on Friday which is taking a break in September.  Tanya's Willy Nilly Friday Five took a break in August.  By October they will both be active!  But I did miss Tanya's awesome meme and hope that everyone who contributes just to her meme might check out the ones I did for Five on Friday last month if you get a chance.  Welcome back, Tanya!  Hope your move went well!  Here are my five this week:

1.  I looked outside late yesterday afternoon to see a fire on the mountain!  This happened about a month and a half ago as well, but it went unnoticed by my hubby and me, and we heard about it from friends.  The one last night was disturbing to see!  I heard that in an hour it spread from one or two acres to 150 with the blustering winds we were having!  I am also connecting to Catching Light  with these photos:

 



Here's all that was left the next morning...a plume of smoke:

2.  I have never seen my calendar so full...well not since I saw the last of my working days!  The next two and a half months are chock full!  I hope I can keep up the pace.:-)  I have started rising earlier than I used to, but that now necessitates a serious afternoon nap every day.  I will be glad when summer is over...the heat is oppressive, and I don't want to get out in it!  On the other hand, the monsoons have been dramatic and interesting at times.  I don't know if a lightning strike caused the fire or not, but I hope the rains helped put it out!


3.  I am getting some halfway decent photos.  It isn't my skill with a camera, or my great lenses (which I don't have) but more my artistic eye.  I still fall well short of the great photographers whose blogs I follow, but occasionally I am proud of a shot I took.  And I think that's all that really matters.  Am I trying my best?  Am I having fun?  Yes to both!  Interestingly I am also becoming a birder, of sorts.  I can't get out an trek like I did years ago, but I do find some opportunities to shoot birds (or the opportunities come to me, like the Cooper's Hawks! :-) )  and right now I have so many bird photos to share, I feel it will take me six months to get them all out there!  I've never had that problem before!  It's a great problem to have, I can tell you! :-)  Here is one of dozens of hummingbird shots I have gotten recently! (This is a female Anna's)



4. I woke up at 5:30...boy, I hate it when that happens!  My usual time (now that I awaken earlier than before) is 6:30 to 7:30.  So, though I had some Bible study time, and thought I was going to start my day, I was overwhelmed by the need to go back to sleep about thirty minutes after I awoke! :-)  The cool thing about this morning, though, was that at 5:30 I heard a coyote ruckus outside.  I hurriedly unlocked the door, grabbed my camera and went outside hoping to see them, but alas was unsuccessful.  But what a lovely morning it was, the soft light so beautiful before the appearance of the sun behind the mountain.  I offer these shots additionally for Catching Light as well. Thanks Monica for this awesome meme):

 

5.  One of many upcoming Dr. appts. this morning...yuk! 

19 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello Marie, I hope the rains have put out that fire! It is great being busy but you need some breaks too. I think your photos are great, I love the hummer shot. And the sunrise is beautiful, a lovely start to your day! Happy Friday, have a great weekend!

Annemor said...

You reallu\y cugt the light. Lovely, Such mornings are giving an extra spark to the day.
Havd a happy day.
Mormor

L. D. said...

I am glad the smoke is leaving. It made for beautiful sky photos. Love the hummer helping herself.

Anonymous said...

lovely sunrise...too bad you couldn't catch the coyotes though!

Kathy said...

I love those pastel skies in your early morning photos. In 1977 I stood in my back yard in Flagstaff and watched slurry bombers overhead fighting the Radio Fire. It is very scary. Almost 5,000 acres burned in that fire, which at that time was the largest fire Arizona had ever experienced. As of today, every major fire in the state has been larger! That's even scarier!

TexWisGirl said...

hate to hear of the fire! lovely sky shots and sweet hummingbird, too!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I didn't realize that fff was taking a September break. Good to know. Your pictures are beautiful this week

Kathy said...

Marie, I need to amend that comment. The Radio fire perhaps was not the largest forest fire in the history of the state at that time, but it was one of the earliest major forest fires in Arizona and all the major fires since that time have been much larger.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Beautiful photos, Marie! You must have been terrified to see the fire, though! Glad it is out! xo Karen

Rose said...

I LOVE those last shots after you woke so early...the fire ones are very disturbing, even to me. I can just about imagine how you must feel being there.

Kate said...

Wow, those photos are scary! Things are so dry, I know fires are common, but to see one that big that close! So glad you're having fun with your photography; that's all that matters! I used to take part in a Photo a Day project but haven't in some time. I get up around 5:30, too, because that's when my husband goes to work, but I also fight the desire to go back to bed! Good luck at your doctor's appointments.

NatureFootstep said...

wow, that is a stunning view. And such good images to share them.
Love this post :)

Hootin Anni said...

You say: "I will be glad when summer is over...the heat is oppressive, and I don't want to get out in it!" You and me both!!! It's been so hot here lately, it feels like Tucson during the monsoon season....withOUT the rain.

Oh I hope you enjoy Wesley the Owl like I did. Can't wait to read your review.

And as for birds/birding. Bring 'em on!!! I love your hummingbird photo, and AZ has some dazzling, unique birds.

EG CameraGirl said...

It's disturbing to hear and read about the forest fires that seem to be all over the West this year! The sky shots are lovely!

DeniseinVA said...

The fire photos are amazing and very dramatic but scary too as the devastation can be just awful. Hope the rains helped to put it out. All your photos are wonderful Marie. I am always impressed with your eye for photography. The little hummer is a darling. Thanks for letting me know Tanya's meme is back. I will be joining in next week.

Phil Slade said...

Bad luck with the coyotes Marie and better luck next time. I must say that I love getting up at 0530 to go birding - "the early bird catches the bird",although I know it doesn't suit everyone. Glad to hear you are getting into birding as it's a very rewarding pastime IMHO. Love your Cooper Header.

Stewart M said...

In a month or so, we will be back in fire season in Victoria. It's one of the reasons I live in a city - I don't think I could cope with the idea that the whole of summer would be a time when a bush fire could come and take your house.

Bird photography is a great way to spend time - and money! Good luck.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Latane Barton said...

well, I know the fire was scary! Those things can and do get out of hand very quickly. The morning shots are amazing but sad you missed catching the coyotes at whatever they were doing.

Tanya Breese said...

oh marie, how sweet of you! your hummingbird is so perfect! those wildfires are so scary...what a beautiful morning you got the chance to see! thank you marie :)