Psalm 19:1--The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth his handywork.
I wish to apologize to anyone who may be having trouble making comments on my posts. I appreciate your visit so much, and wish I could read what you have to say, but something is going on with my computer, and until I can get the issue addressed, this may continue. Please keep visiting! Also, often I cannot make a comment on some posts I look at, particularly those who ask for me to show I am a guest. I have noticed sometimes someone can only comment in the "Reply" section of another comment...if that's all that works, then that's fine! Let's keep visiting no matter what happens, and know we are touching each other with our creativity and thoughts and images even when we can't get (or leave) feedback. God bless you my dear blogger friends!
05 July 2015
Playful Cooper's Hawks!
I have a great post for Anni's Bird d'Pot and Stewart's Wild Bird Wednesday! This is so incredible!!!! About a week ago, I started out my back door and saw a Cooper's Hawk sitting on the wall between our yard and the yard next door. I grabbed the camera and started snapping away. I went on outside, slowly, spooked the bird a little so that it flew onto the adjoining back fence which is lower, and then into the big mesquite tree next door. I was getting photos the entire time and was so excited. But that was just the BEGINNING....
Three days later, this past Wednesday, I looked out the kitchen window and couldn't believe my eyes! THREE Cooper's Hawks...When I first saw the one, it was playing with a piece of fruit skin from my compost heap, throwing it up with its beak! Enjoy these photos and videos:
First video....
Second and third videos......
I think these are two juveniles and an adult male.
Nicely done Marie! Very exciting to watch the fledglings in your own backyard. These guys are learning to use their feet:) Birds of prey will practice on items and lift them up etc to get ready for their first kill. I once watched Harris's Hawks practice on the football field with a can playing catch. Very appropriate:) Congrats on a backyard first. Very exciting. Hope they all do well. There are two birds that rule our city over all other cities in this country.....the Vermilion Flycatcher and Cooper's Hawks.
Your captured some incredible bird poses . What a joy it must be for you. Perfect for the links you have in mind. Thanks for dropping by at my posts. It is very much appreciated
It was really posing for you! Great photos. I've never photographed one. They just seem to swoop in out of nowhere and then nanoseconds later they're gone! Lucky you!
Incredible! What wonderful sightings and photo and video skills to match! Thanks for sharing. I'd probably have been in such awe that I wouldn't have even been able to snap a photo!
Wow! Great shots, Marie! You must have been thrilled to see them! I read some of the comments and was interested in the idea that they were juveniles learning to kill prey by practicing their techniques. I learn something new every time I visit! xo Karen
What a wonderful experience for you and in your own backyard. The 3 video were great to be able to see their antics of the 3 Hawks. Thanks for sharing.
Brilliant Marie. Those hawks must have nested close by to come into your yard as still a family group. I'm sure that the youngsters were practicing the skills they will need to survive in the big wide world. Great pictures and videos.
Great photos and how fascinating to see those hawks so close and to watch them playing with that piece of fruit skin. I was interested in Chris's comment that that is the way juveniles learn before they start catching prey items. I really like the header photo - the flower looks so delicate growing among all those thorns.
You got some great close-ups in that last video. Funny how they leave so much space between each other when they are sitting on the fence. Definitely not like the doves who are often found in pairs sitting as close to each other as possible. Best wishes, Tammy
26 comments:
Hello Marie, awesome sequence on the Cooper's hawks! I have never seen three together, that is cool. Great post, Enjoy your day!
Nicely done Marie! Very exciting to watch the fledglings in your own backyard. These guys are learning to use their feet:) Birds of prey will practice on items and lift them up etc to get ready for their first kill. I once watched Harris's Hawks practice on the football field with a can playing catch. Very appropriate:) Congrats on a backyard first. Very exciting. Hope they all do well. There are two birds that rule our city over all other cities in this country.....the Vermilion Flycatcher and Cooper's Hawks.
Wowzers! Such beautiful creatures. How fun to have them stop in your yard for a visit! You captured some great shots!
omg, never seen anything like this before. Must be rare to see raptors playing games :) And so beautiful birds. Thanks for sharing :)
Your captured some incredible bird poses . What a joy it must be for you. Perfect for the links you have in mind.
Thanks for dropping by at my posts. It is very much appreciated
It was really posing for you! Great photos. I've never photographed one. They just seem to swoop in out of nowhere and then nanoseconds later they're gone! Lucky you!
Gorgeous pictures of one of my favorite birds!
Wow, three of them! I would have liked to have seen them!
Awesome photos of these gorgeous birds! Have a great week, Marie.
Aren't they just gorgeous birds?!
Love the photos!
hughugs
An amazing series of photos! These birds are so gorgeous!
Incredible! What wonderful sightings and photo and video skills to match! Thanks for sharing. I'd probably have been in such awe that I wouldn't have even been able to snap a photo!
You and your cohorts of nature surely outdid yourselves! These images AND videos are absolutely amazing Marie.
I know your excitement to be able to see nature like this! I just love the photos and the videos!
Such beautiful creatures! Your photos and videos are wonderful of them!
Wow! Great shots, Marie! You must have been thrilled to see them! I read some of the comments and was interested in the idea that they were juveniles learning to kill prey by practicing their techniques. I learn something new every time I visit! xo Karen
You got some beautiful pictures here :)
How awesome for you!
What a wonderful experience for you and in your own backyard. The 3 video were great to be able to see their antics of the 3 Hawks. Thanks for sharing.
Brilliant Marie. Those hawks must have nested close by to come into your yard as still a family group. I'm sure that the youngsters were practicing the skills they will need to survive in the big wide world. Great pictures and videos.
A terrific bird and even better pictures you managed to get.
Sweet babies having such fun learning and exploring about their new big world!
this is an incredible experience. A one in a life time event :) Thankd for sharing it.
Great photos and how fascinating to see those hawks so close and to watch them playing with that piece of fruit skin. I was interested in Chris's comment that that is the way juveniles learn before they start catching prey items.
I really like the header photo - the flower looks so delicate growing among all those thorns.
You got some great close-ups in that last video. Funny how they leave so much space between each other when they are sitting on the fence. Definitely not like the doves who are often found in pairs sitting as close to each other as possible. Best wishes, Tammy
really beautiful images!!!!
Post a Comment