Recently my Mom moved from the house she lived in for quite a few years into a retirement community apartment. This meant she had to do some culling. Many things went to a yard sale or were sold on craig's list and many things were given away. She of course saved her most important, needed and precious objects...all that would fit in the new place. For me, some other treasures came my way. I was thrilled to get two boxes recently of special things from past family members:
 |
| The tablecloth belonged to my great-grandmother (I also received a tablecloth from my great-grandparents's 50th wedding anniversary, not shown) At the top of the grouping of other treasures is the beeswax my great-grandmother used in her sewing; my grandmother's butter paddle; three knitting needles made of metal that were crafted for my great-grandmother by my great-granfather (Ma and Pa) so she could make socks for him; two hat pins that were also Ma's; a pair of sewing scissors; and my grandmother's eye glasses. |
 |
| A closeup of the butter paddle, showing that it is wider on one end. |
Butter paddles were used to press the water out of the butter that had just been made. I also own my grandmother's butter churn! And I actually used it to make butter once!
 |
| My grandmother's sunbonnet! |
 |
| Some of my grandmother's handkerchiefs. |
 |
| More of her handkerchiefs. |
 |
| This is one of two quilts that arrived. The other one (which was for my daughter) will be shown on my quilting blog at a later time along with this one. But I had to share this one now. It was made by my great uncle's sisters and cousins to give to him on his return from World War I.
They embroidered their names in some of the blocks. My great-uncle (my
grandmother's brother) was Davis Butler. We also have copies of many of
his letters and post cards home during that time. This quilt is almost 100 years old, and is absolutely priceless to me! Look at the vibrant colors! |
All these wonderful treasures are priceless indeed, and I am so grateful to have them! Linking up with Roan's
Rubbish Tuesday where treasures and junk alike can be shown, as long as they are old.
30 comments:
oh, so sweet. always love the old hankies, the quilts. the sunbonnet is adorable!
Treasures indeed! I clicked on every picture to examine them as well as possible. I'm a knitter so I love, love those handmade knitting needles. I'm also a hoarder of tablecloths from days gone by, and yours is really beautiful - I'd love to see it spread on your table sometime. It's so difficult to find them of this quality these days. I did recently pick up a linen/cotton blend cloth that is also blue and white (my favorite color combination) at a yard sale. Have a wonderful day!
It's great that these treasures are being kept in the family, Marie.
~
Mercy goodness, seeing those things in a new place made my heart warm. Sometimes it is hard to give up treasures but it is nice when they go to someone whom I know will love and care for them.
thanks for sharing all those precious things. It is so great to have as memories of days long past. :)
Great quilt Marie, I was given an old "Pine Burr" quilt a couple of years ago. Tom The Backroads Traveller
Love those treasures from family. I have many and wonder if my kids will appreciate them when I pass them on.
Great old family treasures, Marie!
Oh that quilt is amazing. What wonderful family history in it and everything else you received from your mom. Beautiful precious memories.
The handkerchiefs are beautiful! So glad you received such a lovely collection of family treasures! I am so grateful for all the pieces of family history that are passed on to me.
These are priceless treasures / how wonderful that you are able to keep them in your family! :)
Seeing your Grandmothers glasses gave me a sweet memory surge of my Grandmother's memory. What a special thing to handle things that were part of their lives for so many years! Oh how priceless is love. How interesting that your Grandfather made her knitting needles!
It's wonderful to have treasured things from your past. There's nothing better than an old quilt. This one is beautiful! Sweet hugs, Diane
This is a wonderful post, full of family treasures. I have some of my mother's hankies too. They're so pretty!
I have many old family treasures from their estates. I would like to sell some on Craig's list, but afraid who might so up.
You must've (and must continue to be) been thrilled when your received your treasures. When my father-in-law passed away, the Husband received many family heirlooms, including WWII love letters and old recipes.
Thanks for visiting my blog today. :-)
www.su-sieeemac.com
Incredible treasures Marie, with so much family history. Thank you for sharing them.
These are beautiful family heirlooms. That sunbonnet and the handkerchiefs are so special.
I am in awe of the butter paddle!!! And you actually made butter with a churn once? Impressive. How did it taste? I've never had home made butter before....I am totally blown away by this Marie.
It must have been so difficult for your Mom to give up so many of her treasured belongings, but it is great that you have some of them.
I just love your dear mom's comment above!
Marie, what treasures these beautiful things are, I know you must be thrilled to now have them to care for. The tablecloth is fabulous, and your grandma's sunbonnet awesome. Some years back I made about 25 mini pillows out of a woman's collection of her late mother's embroidered and lace trimmed hankies (like yours) for her to give to her family members as a remembrance - they were so pretty and she cried with joy when she came to collect them!
I have a few things of my grandma's - china mostly - that were passed on to me by my mother. They are treasured - when I look at them, and handle them, I remember the many hours I spent with grandma in England when I was little and my mother had to work - she died when I was 12 and I missed her so much.
Thank you for sharing all these treasures - I know it was hard for your mom to leave much behind when she downsized for the move - I feel perhaps I'll be facing all that some day too!
Love, Mary
It was a shame to know that your mum has gone to a retirement home, but she will be looked after well. All of the things you got, so old and beautiful. Love them.
I love all the linens you featured in your images. I collect old linens, have three boxes worth bought off eBay and at Antique shows. Yours are wonderful.
Amazing treasures! Love that sun bonnet. There was a lady that lived in the edge of town that always wore one in the garden. Love the embroidery work on the hankies. I remember watching my grandmother churn butter. Nice to receive a box full of memories!
You received some wonderful treasures. I remember helping my mother churn butter, although we had a 'somewhat' modern churn. Mom did have a churn paddle like the one you pictured.
What a beautiful tribute and post!
You did get a good haul, there!! I had not really thought that in the old days, someone would have to make the knitting needles...
What wonderful treasures, Marie! Just having these precious items to hold and think of your dear Grandmother is priceless indeed. I love that you have her glasses and sunbonnet, and the knitting needles that your grandfather made just for her! How sweet! And how wonderful is that quilt? To have the signatures and all the letters of your Great Uncle while serving in WWl - such a treasure! Hugs xo Karen
What lovely treasures! I am fortunate to have some old items from my mother's family and like you said, they are priceless.
omgoodness, how things have changed!!!!
Post a Comment