Psalm 19:1--The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth his handywork.


I wish to apologize to anyone who may be having trouble making comments on my posts. I appreciate your visit so much, and wish I could read what you have to say, but something is going on with my computer, and until I can get the issue addressed, this may continue. Please keep visiting! Also, often I cannot make a comment on some posts I look at, particularly those who ask for me to show I am a guest. I have noticed sometimes someone can only comment in the "Reply" section of another comment...if that's all that works, then that's fine! Let's keep visiting no matter what happens, and know we are touching each other with our creativity and thoughts and images even when we can't get (or leave) feedback. God bless you my dear blogger friends!


10 June 2014

Tapping Away & Taking a Dip

We began to be aware that there were several Acorn Woodpeckers very busy in trees, on the electric pole and even on the the eaves of Chuparosa Inn while we sat and listened to the bird sound and watched the feeders so close by.  Their tapping gave us a percussion background to the flute and piccolo all around us.  Linking in with Wild Bird Wednesday and the Bird d'Pot.  Check them both out!





On the way home, when we stopped at Patagonia Lake, we saw that this lovely mother Coot and her babies were enjoying a swim.






24 comments:

NatureFootstep said...

lol, I guess the pecker did not create all of those holes. :)

Carver said...

You got some great bird shots.

Roan said...

Love the bird sounds. You describe them well. Those baby coots are cooties!

Elizabeth Edwards said...

is that your roof on your house? wow, that is a lot of woodpecker hole-age??! gorgeous bird. ( :

TexWisGirl said...

the coot family is adorable! the woodpecker is a handsome one!

mick said...

A great series of photos. I especially like the photos of the Coot adult and young. Very interesting to describe the woodpecker as the percussion to the higher woodwinds.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

that is a lot of holes on the roof tiles!! The baby Coots are adorable.

Phil Slade said...

Looks like a re-roofing job will be neeeded soon Marie. I believe the Acorn Woodpecker is not doing too well on the whole? You did a great job.

Anni said...

I'm not sure, but I don't think we have acorn woodpeckers here in our neck of the woods....this was exciting to see.

And the coot family....excellent. Bud and I just watched 'em being hatched here in TX. They're so ugly when they're all red/orange, they're CUTE!!

Thanks for linking up

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your photos very much. Hope you have a nice day, Marie.

Kathy said...

Is that a gargoyle up on the roof of the inn?

Gail Dixon said...

Lucky you! I have not seen an acorn woodpecker and probably never will. The coot babies are precious. Lovely shots all around. :)

Brian King said...

Did they drill all those holes in the shingles? Wow! They're very good looking birds!

Anonymous said...

Those are some serious woodpeckers! Love all the baby bird pictures with spring and summer.

eileeninmd said...

Great shots! I love the Acorn woodie. And the Coots are so cute! Have a happy day!

Mary said...

I've never seen baby coots...neat! Lovely woodpecker! I love woodpeckers, but we are fighting the damage that a crazy little Downy is doing to our house and garage. He insists on pecking all over it, destroying the wood.

Unknown said...

Wonderful birds! The baby coots are adorable.

Anonymous said...

great shots of the woodpeckers and the coots(I have never seen photos of these birds before). The baby coots aren't exactly cute are they!!!

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Marie, did that woodpecker make all of those holes?? Lovely bird shots!

Birgitta said...

Great bird shots!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

That woodpecker looks like he has been pretty busy and must have a headache if he put all of those holes there! Lovely bird photos!

Stewart M said...

I take it that the holes in the roof were made by this fellow and his friends? No woodpeckers of any sort in Australia, so I just have to enjoy other people's.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Debbie said...

omgoodness, someone has been very busy!!!

A Colorful World said...
This comment has been removed by the author.