Psalm 19:1--The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth his handywork.


I wish to apologize to anyone who may be having trouble making comments on my posts. I appreciate your visit so much, and wish I could read what you have to say, but something is going on with my computer, and until I can get the issue addressed, this may continue. Please keep visiting! Also, often I cannot make a comment on some posts I look at, particularly those who ask for me to show I am a guest. I have noticed sometimes someone can only comment in the "Reply" section of another comment...if that's all that works, then that's fine! Let's keep visiting no matter what happens, and know we are touching each other with our creativity and thoughts and images even when we can't get (or leave) feedback. God bless you my dear blogger friends!


30 May 2011

Memorial

Naval Station Norfolk...the USS Cole:

In the way of saying goodbye to Virginia, we visited the Naval Station last weekend.  What we found inspired me to post a tribute today, instead.  We saw many things that day, and I will share more in another post.  But, what was so moving and sad was coming upon the USS Cole moored there.  Here in front of us was the ship that bore the brunt of the second major terrorist attack in this current war with Islamic radicals.  In 2000 seventeen on our good men and women were killed and thirty-nine were injured.  We remember them today....and remember all who have died for our freedom.  It is a priceless freedom paid for with many lives in many wars.  Today we hold them in honor, and remember....

I got permission to photograph the ship through the fence....



There is a plaque in memory of those who died that day.....


Flying proudly on the bow....Don't tread on me.....on us....on America!


And at the other end of the piers, yet another reminder of the war we fight yet today.  There sat the USS New York, created from at least 7 tons of steel from the World Trade Center.  May we never forget Sept 11 and those who gave their lives that day, unaware of the threat that loomed ahead.....

God bless all who have given so much for the rest of us.  May we take time to pray for their loved ones today and to remember their greatest sacrifices, especially those men and women who have sacrificed all for each of us since the Cole was attacked.  May we never forget.

5 comments:

Peggy said...

Hi Marie, what an informative post! I was not aware that a ship was made from the steel from the WTC, USS New York is an amazing ship. If it ever visits us over here I will make a point of going to see it.
The USS Cole I had probably heard about on TV news but these things fade from memory until we are reminded and we do need to reminded of the people who made these sacrifices as in our busy world we forget so easily.

Dorothy said...

Beautiful tribute, Marie!

George said...

Thanks for a very beautiful -- and moving -- Memorial Day tribute. I think it's wonderful that you were able to see both of these ships.

Patsy said...

Hi Marie how are you ? Glad to to see your comment. Come back soon.
Patsy

Thomas C B Chua said...

This is news to me. It is a great way to remember 911. As long as the ship sails, the memory goes along with it. It is a reminder what cowardly and pathetic people with twisted mind and ideology could resort to doing to innocent people.