Psalm 19:1--The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth his handywork.


I wish to apologize to anyone who may be having trouble making comments on my posts. I appreciate your visit so much, and wish I could read what you have to say, but something is going on with my computer, and until I can get the issue addressed, this may continue. Please keep visiting! Also, often I cannot make a comment on some posts I look at, particularly those who ask for me to show I am a guest. I have noticed sometimes someone can only comment in the "Reply" section of another comment...if that's all that works, then that's fine! Let's keep visiting no matter what happens, and know we are touching each other with our creativity and thoughts and images even when we can't get (or leave) feedback. God bless you my dear blogger friends!


15 May 2017

Festival Hill Treasure: The Concert Hall

Once again for Tom's Tuesday Treasures and Mersad's Through My Lens I am sharing the architectural marvel of the Festival Concert Hall at The Festival Institute at Round Top, TX.  I am also sharing the incredible music!  ( for you, Tom! :-) ) James Dick at the piano from You Tube at the end, and a bit of a Summer Concert Series as well and info about the beginnings of Festival Hill.  James Dick is a treasure himself.  Yes, the music in that Hall was glorious!






The interior of the Hall....This amazing structure has some of the best acoustics of anywhere in the world!  The side boxes are hollow, with Celtic cutouts, the ceiling is also hollow, giving one the sense of being INSIDE a finely crafted musical instrument.  The seats are wood, with upholstery that does not absorb the sound.  Every detail of this incredible structure was carefully thought out and beautifully crafted.  The woodwork, with all the intricate diamond shapes, inlay compasses and stars and even handmade bead-boarding was overseen and largely created by Larry Birkelbach, master craftsman....more on him later.....The Hall is a wonder to behold, but to listen to music inside this magical place is indescribable!!!!




Our friend Nick Collier from the Blue Ghost Reunion was able to come out and visit while we were there, since he lives in nearby Smithville.  After a lovely lunch in the Star Dining Room Jimmy showed us the newest addition to the Hall since our departure (the upholstered seats) and shared information about the progression of the Hall and its many wonderful details with Nick.


For more information on The Round Top Festival Institute's many events and concerts, or to plan a visit to the grounds, check out their website at:  https://festivalhill.org/

Now for a couple of treats from You Tube!  The first is James Dick, renowned concert pianist and the founder and artistic director of the Festival Institute:  conductor, Charles Olivieri Munroe with the Bucharest Philharmonic, James Dick at the piano playing Rachmaninov's Paganini Variations Part 2


The second is:  2009 Distinguished Alumnus Video featuring Jimmy and his background, as well as his passion that became...Festival Hill:

No comments: