For Linda Kay's Wit and Wisdom (awesome writing meme on Senior Adventures!) I would like to share a special legacy....
My mother is a quilter. My grandmother was a quilter, and every aunt and great-aunt and my two great-grandmothers and on back through my lineage. It was fore-ordained that I would quilt. The days of the quilting joys of my grandmother and great-grandmothers were born of necessity. The quilts were used to warm their families against the winter cold, and were worn out after years of faithful use. Not many of them survived. They were made of scraps of clothing and of feed and flour sacks. Nothing was wasted. The batting was often hand-carded cotton. Women's work was truly never done in those early days, and they went to bed to sleep under their hand made quilts, bone tired from the long days. When the quilting was to be done, a group of women would gather around a frame suspended from the ceiling, to do hand quilting and visit. My mother sat under that suspended frame as a child and watched the needles go in and out, snaking across in long lines of loving handwork....it was the perfect fort.
Mom took me to the quilt shop to buy my first fabric for my quilt. It was the early 80s and life had progressed to templates, and purchased fabric to be cut up into shapes, and sewing machines to put it all back together. The rotary cutter was new also and soon became the norm. Prices started soaring for expensive cotton fabrics needed to make heirlooms that would last for generations. But, as I began to learn the techniques involved in piecing and creating quilt blocks, I also wished to pay homage to my roots...and make an old-fashioned quilt, hand-quilted. My Mom often hand-quilted her quilts back then too, and she tried to teach me, but I just couldn't get the hang of that rocking back and forth motion that was needed. So, as you can see from the photo above, I did my first hand quilting by going IN and OUT! Not the most effective method, but I was comfortable with it.
What I love about the photo, is that the feed sack fabric the quilt is created from was some of my grandmother's fabric. She was no longer quilting, and she gave me these pieces. The frame was my Mom's....and she soon after gave it to me as she had moved on to using a hoop. I love the feed sack quilt, which unfortunately I have never finished hand quilting (perhaps this is the year!) and I love the quilting frame. Both are treasures! I do my quilting on the machine now, because hand quilting by my archaic method was just too darn slow! But I at least know how to properly hand quilt now. I have made a few quilts, and several wall hangings or other small projects since that day in the 80s when the photo was taken, and I know I will quilt until my hands will no longer hold the needle that I can't see how to thread! When that day comes, I hope I will be happy with all I have accomplished. I know it has given me great joy over these years. After all, how could it not? Me being a quilter was truly fore-ordained.
Psalm 19:1--The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth his handywork.
I wish to apologize to anyone who may be having trouble making comments on my posts. I appreciate your visit so much, and wish I could read what you have to say, but something is going on with my computer, and until I can get the issue addressed, this may continue. Please keep visiting! Also, often I cannot make a comment on some posts I look at, particularly those who ask for me to show I am a guest. I have noticed sometimes someone can only comment in the "Reply" section of another comment...if that's all that works, then that's fine! Let's keep visiting no matter what happens, and know we are touching each other with our creativity and thoughts and images even when we can't get (or leave) feedback. God bless you my dear blogger friends!
I wish to apologize to anyone who may be having trouble making comments on my posts. I appreciate your visit so much, and wish I could read what you have to say, but something is going on with my computer, and until I can get the issue addressed, this may continue. Please keep visiting! Also, often I cannot make a comment on some posts I look at, particularly those who ask for me to show I am a guest. I have noticed sometimes someone can only comment in the "Reply" section of another comment...if that's all that works, then that's fine! Let's keep visiting no matter what happens, and know we are touching each other with our creativity and thoughts and images even when we can't get (or leave) feedback. God bless you my dear blogger friends!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
My Granny was a quilter, too. I wish I had one of her quilts, but that is not the way I was raised (to save keepsake things). I enjoyed your story.
Marie, loved your story of quilting. There is still a small group at the church where I grew up who gather to quilt, and we have a quilt group at my church here in Fredericksburg. It is a dying art, as the machines have taken over the hand stitching. I have two that were hand quilted by my grandmother, and one by the ladies at my home church. They are priceless.
Great Story!
My days of quilting is basically over. Certainly the handquilting which I loved so much. I am so happy that my oldest daughter (Marie) feels she was 'fore-ordained' to quilt. I remember so many times we have shared in the joy of quilting. I pass the torch on to you....
What wonderful memories of your quilting and your mothers. A great piece of history. I am sure that you have both made many beautiful quilts in your time! xx
I had three generations of women who quilted. I was amazed as I got old that most of my friends and family did not quilt. I have seen many a quilt being created and I just thought that was normal in everyone's family.
I have wonderful memories of my Grandmother quilting but it's something I haven't tried...yet! Loved this post. Hugs, Diane
My mother in law was the craftsman in the family, she too quilted several. My grandmother and her co-horts made a quilt for my mother's wedding gift. ALL my mother's classmates and relatives chose a quilt square and embroidered their names on each block in thread, then the ladies quilted the blocks...with dates, names and little flowers....the quilt was backed in pink flowered material. She had it until it finally rotted away!!!
LOVED reading this and how you got your beginning skills. I really, really admire the talent!!! I made one by machine a couple of years back, so I know the hours and work involved....but that was my one and only!!!
I've read so many about quilting tradition in States... I like the book "Stitches in Time" by Barbara Michaels. And often admire your work.
Have wonderful Christmas days :-)
Post a Comment