Psalm 19:1--The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth his handywork.
I wish to apologize to anyone who may be having trouble making comments on my posts. I appreciate your visit so much, and wish I could read what you have to say, but something is going on with my computer, and until I can get the issue addressed, this may continue. Please keep visiting! Also, often I cannot make a comment on some posts I look at, particularly those who ask for me to show I am a guest. I have noticed sometimes someone can only comment in the "Reply" section of another comment...if that's all that works, then that's fine! Let's keep visiting no matter what happens, and know we are touching each other with our creativity and thoughts and images even when we can't get (or leave) feedback. God bless you my dear blogger friends!
14 November 2015
Critters That Didn't Stay :(
Nearly two months ago I was very excited to find THREE Giant Swallowtail Butterfly Caterpillars on my tiny little lemon tree. Well, worried they were going to eat all the leaves and stress out my cute little tree, but happy that I knew what they were and that they might make their chrysalis soon and become Giant Swallowtails! I was hoping for the experience of seeing their transformation. I decided if they started consuming too many of the leaves I would transfer them to someone else's orange tree. I really don't want to lose that little lemon. But, on the other hand....nature was at work!
Alas, one day after about a month I noticed they were gone. I don't know for sure, but I can only assume they must've been eaten by birds. I was disappointed I wouldn't get to see them become butterflies. Here is a really great video I found on the internet about the Giant Swallowtail. Maybe next year!
Oh wow, what a cool sighting of the Giant Swallowtail caterpillars. They are neat looking. So sorry they disappeared. Nice video and photos! Thank you so much for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!
Hello Marie!:) What lovely butterflies these Giant Swallowtails are. I so enjoyed the vídeo and was captivated by their beauty. Shame about the caterpillar disapearing from your garden, it must be wonderful to see the actual transformation taking place, something I have seen in newts in our pond, that's why I knew what the little critter was. Have a good weekend!:)
Hello, Marie! I'm sorry it wasn't possible to see the transformation. Such a beautiful butterfly! Your photos are, nevertheless, very interesting. Perhaps you will have better luck next year. Have a blessed day!
i brought a caterpillar indoors this year, made a beautiful home for it and let nature run it's course. i received in return a perfectly beautiful black swallowtail which i set free, of course. it was fascinating watching the entire process!!
i did this after reading that it is encouraged as only 2% of all caterpillars survive in the wild...so to speak!!!!
Very cool! Great photos but I am sorry you didn't get to see any transform. I was told once that certain butterflies are only attracted to one plant, and in one of the butterfly houses we visited, one of the experts told us that he saw eggs on the 'wrong' plant and the butterfly came back and slowly transferred all the eggs on to the 'right' plant. I never realized that until visiting the butterfly gardens. Have a great week Marie.
Thanks for the visit this week. We love to come to Tucson, especially in the winter so we can get a bit of sun mixed with football and basketball. - Margy
16 comments:
Oh wow, what a cool sighting of the Giant Swallowtail caterpillars. They are neat looking. So sorry they disappeared. Nice video and photos! Thank you so much for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!
Hello Marie!:) What lovely butterflies these Giant Swallowtails are. I so enjoyed the vídeo and was captivated by their beauty. Shame about the caterpillar disapearing from your garden, it must be wonderful to see the actual transformation taking place, something I have seen in newts in our pond, that's why I knew what the little critter was. Have a good weekend!:)
Hello, Marie! I'm sorry it wasn't possible to see the transformation. Such a beautiful butterfly! Your photos are, nevertheless, very interesting. Perhaps you will have better luck next year.
Have a blessed day!
Really wonderful creature that you have captured.
Wow! Saw the video and the butterfly is really beautiful. But the caterpillars will consume all the leaves if it is a small plant.
Wonderful images of the critter.
Nice shots of the caterpillars, a shame you didn't get to see them turn into their butterfly selves!
~
hope they did well!
so sad you lost them. The butterfly is really gorgeous. A delight to see them fly. :)
It sure blends in with the tree. Nature is so sneaky.
i brought a caterpillar indoors this year, made a beautiful home for it and let nature run it's course. i received in return a perfectly beautiful black swallowtail which i set free, of course. it was fascinating watching the entire process!!
i did this after reading that it is encouraged as only 2% of all caterpillars survive in the wild...so to speak!!!!
I hope that you get some butterflies - and lemons! - next year! That would be an incredible sight wouldn't it. xx
Very cool! Great photos but I am sorry you didn't get to see any transform. I was told once that certain butterflies are only attracted to one plant, and in one of the butterfly houses we visited, one of the experts told us that he saw eggs on the 'wrong' plant and the butterfly came back and slowly transferred all the eggs on to the 'right' plant. I never realized that until visiting the butterfly gardens. Have a great week Marie.
A nice find for you Marie. A shame you didn't get to see the butterflies hatch out. Its a wonderful butterfly shown on the video.
I wish you had got to see it till you could have photographed it for us! We have watched a Monarch but that is the only thing.
Thanks for the visit this week. We love to come to Tucson, especially in the winter so we can get a bit of sun mixed with football and basketball. - Margy
Post a Comment