I recently switched out my hummingbird feeders so they would be more stable....mainly because when the finches and particularly the Gila woodpeckers try to get the nectar, they were tipping the feeders and the nectar was pouring out. The problem has been solved....but here are some shots for Stewart's
Wild Bird Wednesday and Anni's
Bird D'Pot that were taken before I made the changes. You can see how this was a major problem! :-)
 |
| Love these goofy birds! |
 |
| The finches tend to only tip and spill when they take off and land, or if several are on there at once, arguing over the nectar. |
34 comments:
Naughty birds... glad you got the problem fixed.
They are not so goofy, I would say they are smart. The woodpecker know to tilt the feeder just so it can drink the nectar. Pretty birds and great captures. Have a happy day!
I've always seen yellow jackets hover around hummingbird feeders but I have never seen another bird try to feed from my hummingbird feeder. That is crazy! That woodpecker seems so determined to get a drink!
Marie, those are fabulous shots! How fun to see them so up-close. We have our drop-off cat so no bird feeder would be good here. I've enjoyed your post though! Hope you are having a great day....all sunny and cheerful. =)
Aren't they clever birds? This time of year, everyone flies to those hummingbird feeders for a sip. The Gila's having long tongues like the hummingbirds so they should be good. The House Finches on the other hand....:)
I think these pictures really nice to see. The woodpecker is a beautiful bird. Glad you found a solution to preserve the nectrar for the hummingbirds.
Kind regards, Helma
i've had some issues with both of those types here, but the worst was the squirrels who hung on and gnawed them and ruined them. :)
That top bird was a woodpecker! I can't imagine they would want to eat sweet stuff. Great photos of busy birds.
Kind of precious, isn't it? To see them so willing to get to that nectar? I know the woodpeckers like to use their tail for balance so this has to be awkward for them.
Fantastic shots! They're one of my favorite woodpeckers!
Ha! That is one determined woodpecker! Great photos!
Oh those woodpecker shots are so so funny and so cute! Darn hard on the hummingbirds source of food, but I sure am glad you got those pics before you fixed the problem! Thanks for sharing! Loved this.
Thank you for your comment on my Blue Monday post. We are out of town and I haven't had time to visit before now.
Your blues are all sweet but I loved the old home the best. The hummingbird feeder pics are a riot. We never have that problem because our feeder takes a long thin beak to get the nectar. So funny. You got some great shots of the action.
Have a great week.
I have heard about woodpeckers doing this! Haven't had them try it with my hummingbird feeders....yet!
WOW!!
Amazing photos!!
Thanks so much for stopping by!!
HUgs,
Debbie
I have a red-bellied woodpecker that is similar to your Gila that hags on to my regular feeder this way and dumps the seed. They are fun to watch though. Hope things are better for you now.
Beautiful photos! I love the woodpeckers.
Great looking Woodpeckers. They're just too big for the feeder aren't they.
Love how that woodpecker is so determined to get a feed. Grat captures.
That's funny....I enjoyed these photos.
I always fretted about our woodpeckers when they'd come in to get some of the sugar water...our hummingbird feeders always had the yellow flowers on them, attached. I had visions of the woodpeckers getting them stuck on their beaks.
LOVED this post.
Robber alert!
I think they must attend a gym class to be able to do what they are doing :)
I'm back again to send along my thanks for your two shares this week at I'd Rather B Birdin'
Good point from Eileen. Do the woodpeckers tip the feeder to get at the sugar water or do they land on the feeder and their weight tips the tray over? Who cares, they are just great pictures Marie.
The photos of the woodpecker are hilarious!
I would have nenver have thought that birds like nectar. They obviously enjoy it as well by their attempts to get to it.
Great photos of the birds and very interesting the different species that wanted to take advantage of the nectar.
Opportunistic. Thanks for sharing.
awwww, even the birds have a sweet tooth!!!!
Isn't that funny ! We get the same thing. I just put out some bird seed. The heck with it!
Absolutely stunning shots of the hummingbird! Isn't it a wonderful bird!
Ha! Your birds are confused!
What fun to watch, even if they do spill the food!
Hello Marie.
Nice pictures of this birds.
Good that you have found a solution to the hummingbirds.
All perfectly photographed, my compliments.
I wish you a beautiful Sunday.
Best regards, Irma
Post a Comment