Spring continues on here, temps in the mid-80s mostly, and getting out to enjoy the desert environs is such a treat! On our drive two weeks ago when we saw so many quail we also saw other wonderful birds, and some fences, so for this week's
Wild Bird Wednesday and
Bird d'Pot, as well as
Good Fences, here is my offering...go by and check out the other offerings on these wonderful memes!
 |
| A Gila Woodpecker on a saguaro |
 |
| Different Gila |
 |
| Female Phainopepla...sorry the lighting isn't better so you can see her shades of grey color. |
 |
| Male Phainopepla, jet black |
 |
| A dove sitting on top of a saguaro..... |
 |
| ...and by on top, I mean WAYYYY up! See him!? By the way, notice the dead saguaro next to the live one, embedded in a dead tree. The tree offered shade and protection to the saguaro when it was young many years ago. |
.JPG) |
| An osprey flying over a small lake near our home. A surprising find! (Again, sorry about the picture quality, but he was WAYYY up there, too! :-)) |
 |
| I went down the street to a Palo Verde in a wash (so I wouldn't be doing this in someone's yard) to get a couple of fronds of the yellow blossoms for my Easter bouquet, and I heard someone singing up a storm. I looked and looked for the vocalist and found this mockingbird sitting on top of the light pole. |
 |
| Singing his heart out. |
And now for a couple of fences....this first one is a typical SW gate, but the surprise were the statues on either side of the entrance...very "Eastern" :-)
 |
| This entrance gate looks very typical of our area, right down to the fake stetsons (each side of the entryway was identical) on top of the posts. |
47 comments:
so pretty. i wonder how they don't get hurt by the catcus. ouch! luv ur fences. ( :
pretty cool gates - you're right about southwestern meets easter. :) love the saguaros!
I especially like the photos of the woodpecker with the holes on the saguaro. I have read about saguaros but no book ever thought to mention that the woodpeckers had holes in them! Amazing!
What a bounty!
ALOHA from Honolulu,
ComfortSpiral
=^..^=
Your scenery is so different from up here! Love the taste of desert, and your southern birds!
Love the Woodpecker clinging onto the cactus.
Lovely shots of the Mockingbird.
Great collection of the birds. I love the Gila Woodie.. And the gates/entrances are beautiful.. Have a happy day!
The dove in the very top of that saguaro is amazing. I just loved finding out that birds nested in the cactus, when we stayed in Tucson those winters. Have I already told you that? Anyway, thanks for the great pictures and memories, I love that black bird too and even learned how to spell it once;)!
Beautiful photos of birds, Marie!
These fences looks amanzing.
Love that hat! That gate and entry is soooo Tucson.
Excellent bird pictures and also the two gates. I wonder about those statues! I am not even going to guess.
Have a great rest of the week. Love Mom
Great pictures, Marie! Love your fences!
I love the last gateway..very unique. And the desert drive was alive with all sorts of birds. The cactus are lovely.
The Gila Woodpecker looks like quite the character!
To me who only sees woodpeckers that peck wood it sounds so unlikely that a woodpecker will attack a plant in the way the Gila does. On the other hand, those cacti look both huge and strong. The Gilas are obviously well adapted to their specialised environment?
A great capture of the Osprey Marie. Looks like the wheels are down in readiness for a plunge or a landing.
Wish I could feel the warm sunshine now. It is just still so cold here.
Lovely photos! I love the woodpecker and the cacti.
It always amazes me that the birds can sit on top of the cactus! Neat gates, I think I saw that second one last time we were in Tucson! :)
Love all the different birds - so many! I have never heard a mockingbird - have always wanted to. Love the Southwestern style gates. xo Karen
You live in such a beautiful world!I am surprised that the cactus does not hurt those little birds.......it is amazing at how nature adapts. Love the fence pics!
Great gates and fences, Marie. Love the birdies in their desert habitat, too.
Beautiful birds, very nice variety.
So glad to come over from Good fences to see wonderful desert birds and fences and cacti! Really enjoyed it all!
Have a great day!
Christine
Wonderful bird sightings. I love the Cacti too. Great fences. The one with the lizard is really neat but I did find it odd that they had the statue next to it as it just doesn't seem to fit.
Also a great gate with the Stetson hats.
I love it all, the saguaros, the birds, and the gates. What is it about gates that people find so attractive. Great post, thank you
Beautiful pictures Marie.
I love all the different birds.
The fencing is an odd combination, but still makes an interesting entrance!!!
love, Love, LOVE all your birds. Exceptional.
Interesting information about the "nurse" cactus that took care of its baby. I envy your warm weather, having just relocated temporarily to NE Illinois. Down to 27 degrees last night while back home in FLorida it was 77 degrees overnight.
Hi Marie, Love your bird pics. You captured really great shots.
Great fences too and the horse fence with the stetson hats is amazing. It would fit right in here too.
So enjoyed my visit. Wishing you a nice weekend.
Hugs, CM
lots of great birdie catches and a couple of awesome fences!!!!
Love the bird photo's and the fences look greeat.
These are all so excellent, but I especially love the bird on the cactus!
The Osprey is quite a catch Marie. Nice work! The Saguaros are about to begin their bloom cycle...get ready! It's going to be epic. Keep your eyes on those flowers....and the cavities....:) Owls, Martins and more....that's all I'm saying:)
Great pics! I hope to see a woodpecker on a cactus...someday!
~
Your surrounds are so different to ours....both filled with beauty for those who have eyes to see it.
These fences are lovely !!
Great shots ! Greetings !
well, that is a lovely entrance. And some pretty birds as well :)
Great desert finds!
Wonderful shots, Marie! How wonderful that you have an osprey nearby!
Lovely bird photos, finally today I find the time for a visit (to many is to do in the garden... )
Have a nice new week
I remember those "P" black birds [can't spell it...won't even attempt to spell it].....are they the ones with red eyes?
quite different from anything we see here
nice
dazzlingzest.blogspot.com
I loved seeing all the birds, so different to the ones we have here.
The eastern style figures don't really fit with the rest of the gate, do they?
Diana
You always share the most amazing photos. Love the plants, birds and the fences/gates!
Wonderful display of birds. I try to capture them, but not fast enough.
Post a Comment