Though I posted the horses on my "Southwestern Style" this week, I decided to add a second Critters post: joining in with Eileen's
Saturday's Critters and Misty's
Camera Critters, here are a few from the desert....
 |
| The round-tail ground squirrels we found at Coachline Lake |
 |
| The only Tarantula Hawk I have ever seen in my yard. These insects have one of the most painful stings of any insect in N America, but it generally is not interested in stinging people. It's venomous sting is for tarantulas and they are found wherever tarantulas are found. They are about 2 inches long. |
If you would like to see the Tarnatula Hawk in action, view the video above....
 |
| Also from my archives, an orange dragonfly from my yard |
35 comments:
Marie, great critter post. I love the cute ground squirrel and the pretty dragonfly.. The tarantula video is cool and creepy.. Thanks again for linking up and sharing your post..
HI That was an amazing video. I could not get over how each independent leg moved the stones which were quite a size. I wonder did you wait around to see where the Wasp was taking its prey? Loved the little guy at the beginning and the Dragonfly shots as well. Have a lovely weekend.
most enjoyable
cute big-eyed ground squirrels!
I have never seen an orange dragonfly before. They are neat insects to see. You sure got some great photos of them.
Hello Mari!:) What large eyes these Round-tailed ground squirrels have, and such a sweet little face. It's quite amazing how strong the Tarantula Halk is. I only watched a little of the vĂdeo, because I kept thinking about how much pain it was inflicting on the spider, and couldn't watch any more.Lovely shots of the Orange Dragonflies Mari. It won't be long before they appear again. It's warming up here.Have a nice weekend.:)
Hi Marie, Those squirrels have the sweetest faces! I also adore dragonflies but I've never seen an orange one - your photos are spectacular. I hope you will enjoy the weekend.
Wow--all these are new to me! I never knew tarantulas had predators, that tarantula hawk video was so interesting, Marie. The desert is so full of unusual animals and insects.
Wow !!! I love squirrels! These ground squirrels are so sweet :))
Heve a nice weekend :)
Marie, kind of creepy critters today! I hate spiders. The dragonflies are very colorful.
Cute the squirrel. Great of the insect.
The little ground squirrel is really adorable. The tarantula hawk....I want no part of.
I love the rodents! Spider creeps me out!
Not all of them, but this big one!
I adore your photos!
Horses are a fave in my house, too!
Marie critters are always so charming in photos. Thanks for sharing yours.
Beautiful shots! The ground squirrels are cute!
Oh Marie, that round-tail ground squirrel is so cute! I love that wide-eyed look.
This is a great collection of shots. I particulalry enjoyed the squirrel ones.
Have a nice day.
The ground squirrels are always cute. The tarantula hawk moth I recognize because on my trip out west when we were in a place where these things were running around all over the place. Now I know what they are. I didn't know anything about them at the time. Glad I didn't try to pick one up! Great photos Marie.
The video is astonishing Marie. The way that Tarantula Hawk is using all its strength to pull the spider along. I'm going to have to read up about that. e.g. Does the tarantula hawk eat the hole spider on its own or do other join in etc?
Thanks for sharing that.
Oh yes, I love the Squirrel, fantastic.
Marie those squirrels are adorable...so different from our furry ones here, but the same cute faces.
The ground squirrels are adorable! And the dragonflies are such a bright red!
A really beaut collection of photos Marie. I like the cute little paws on the squirrels.
Wow, that Tarantula Hawk is certainly tenacious - a great video!
The dragonfly photos are stunning :D)
Squirrel and dragonflies are beautiful.
The video is absolutely amazing.
Best regards, Irma
Cool pics! I don't think I've seen a tarantula hawk in the wild before.
~
Wonderful photos! The squirrels are so adorable!
That squirrel is a cutie!
The dragonfly is gorgeous ~ I always get so excited when I see dragonflies. But I can live without the tarantula hawk, I'd freak out if I saw that in my yard! But it was fun to learn about a new animal. I hope you have a great Sunday.
Hi Marie,
That Squirrel is so cute - very intriguing tail :)
The close-up shots of the various critters are neat also.
Thanks for stopping by my blog.
Have a Beautiful Day!
Peace :)
Dragonfly is awesome!
Wonderful nature shots ~ Dragonfly is so colorful and defined well!
Happy Week to you,
artmusedog and carol
Well goodness, I have never even heard of a round tail squirrel! He looks odd to me! I hope to never see a Tarantula Hawk- egads. Pretty orange drangonfly though- I will see them soon as the chill leaves- they fly around me when I mow.
I particularly like your Ground Squirrels! Thank you for your comment on my 7-spot Ladybird, which has now been verified.
What a nice assortment of cute and not so cute, but still very interesting.
Wonderful captures!
Post a Comment