Psalm 19:1--The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth his handywork.


I wish to apologize to anyone who may be having trouble making comments on my posts. I appreciate your visit so much, and wish I could read what you have to say, but something is going on with my computer, and until I can get the issue addressed, this may continue. Please keep visiting! Also, often I cannot make a comment on some posts I look at, particularly those who ask for me to show I am a guest. I have noticed sometimes someone can only comment in the "Reply" section of another comment...if that's all that works, then that's fine! Let's keep visiting no matter what happens, and know we are touching each other with our creativity and thoughts and images even when we can't get (or leave) feedback. God bless you my dear blogger friends!


30 October 2014

My Friday Five and InSPIREd Sunday

Joining in with Tanya's Willy Nilly Friday Five. Thanks Tanya for this fun meme!

1. For InSPIRED Sunday I would like to share the mission at Old Tucson.  This is not the original building because that one was destroyed by fire.  It is also not really a real church, but one built for use in many movies filmed at Old Tucson Studios.  I did attend a service there once, though, in the old church before it burned...our good friends were married there.  I carried the wedding cake I made for them over Gates Pass and down to Old Tucson.  To see a post about Old Tucson, which is a tourist destination, click HERE.   And here is the church...



2.  I also wanted to say something that relates to the Childcraft books I shared before.  Childcraft were made by World Book Encyclopaedias, and I discovered through your comments that some people had amazing memories of them, but others had never heard of the books.  All I can say is, if you didn't have a set as a child, you were really missing something.  My Great Aunt Lena was a school teacher, and she also sold World Books.  It was through her that we got our set of encyclopaedias and also the Childcraft set.  There was something else, and it was probably a gift for buying the set, but I remember this poster with great fondness .  We had it on one of our bedroom walls for many years and I used to love to look at all the details.  Nothing represents Americana better.


3. Another trip down memory lane this week was seeing Kristin of Texas's (onceuponaramblingblog HERE) post about The International Festival Institute (called Festival Hill).  It is located in Round Top, Texas, and it was where I worked at Administrative Assistant to James Dick for five wonderful years.  A summer musical festival is held there for the upper crust of music students, as well as  monthly concerts during the year, and wonderful forums on arts and history.  Festival Hill is a magical place, and  I have so many amazing memories.  I also miss my many great friends from Round Top.  I have to share this youtube video with you that shows the breath-taking Festival Concert Hall.  Please click on the link....

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnIP_GTVGaI

4. I have been reading The Greek Treasure by Irving Stone.  I read it once before in my early 20s.  I'd almost forgotten what a wonderful writer he was!  I met him once at a book signing where he was kind enough to sign my old copy of The President's Lady instead of the new book he was there to promote.  The Greek Treasure is about Heinrich Schliemann and his young Greek wife, Sophia who excavated and discovered the real Troy of Homer, and found Priam's treasure.  It has been a thrill to live in that world again, and discover Troy along with them...


Heinrich Schliemann was born on January 6th, 1822 as son of a Protestant minister in Neubukow / Mecklenburg (Germany). He described his life in the autobiography »Heinrich Schliemann's Selbstbiographie« (Autobiography of Heinrich Schliemann). On December 26th, 1890 he died after an ear surgery in Naples.
In 1870 he married the 18 year old Greek girl Sophia Engastromenos. On the photo above she wears the famous gold jewelry from the so-called »Treasure of Priam«, which Heinrich Schliemann had discovered in Troy.
The couple had two children, Andromache (1871-1962) and Agamemnon (1878-1954).


My book reviews are generally found on my sidebar but I reserved this one for my Friday Five.

5. My fifth random is to share some of the wonderful sky views of S Arizona I have taken photos of this month.  Our cloudless blue skies have been slow in arriving this season.  We even had a freak Autumn thunder storm two weeks ago:



The Santa Catalina mountains from my house





31 comments:

eileeninmd said...

The mission is pretty, neat that it is used for movies.. I love the sky shots and the views of the mountains.. LOvely images, Marie! Enjoy your weekend!

Hootin Anni said...

I remember one Easter living in Tucson, that the Catalina Mountains were covered with snow...being from Colorado, Bud and I rushed to climb thru Sabino Canyon -----and the snow!! By midday it was gone. lol

That book sounds very interesting!!

And Old Tucson Studios. I remember the fire...looking out from our front yard the orange glow in the sky. I still to this day think it was arson...or insurance fraud.

This is another SUPER post with terrific photos.

Have a FANGtastic Halloween.

Tom said...

Marie, I love mission architecture, so lovely. Some of your sky shots looked like you were sending out smoke signals. Tom The Backroads Traveller

Latane Barton said...

What memories you dredge up... I am so happy we had the Childcraft books for you children to enjoy and learn from. And, then you talk about Ole Tucson and I want to thank you two again for those wonderful times. A great Random five today.

Maggid said...

I suddenly wish to live in Round Top, Texas . . . which probably isn't going to happen right away . . BUT, the book??? Since i have not read it, i shall scout it out and read . . one and a half books from now. Thank you for this brilliant five!!!

Tanya Breese said...

i like your "fake" church, it's beautiful as well as the skies you've been having! that poster is super...you should get a copy and hang it...i really like it! thank you so much for linking and happy halloween!!

Linda Kay said...

Love your pictures and have been to that old church/mission. Beautiful sky pictures as well.

TexWisGirl said...

gorgeous skies. and i like the mission - even if it just a movie set version, now.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Arizona has the most beautiful skies!!! Old Tuscon looks like a great place to visit for some rich history.
Have a great weekend!

Ida said...

Very informative and interesting post. That church is lovely. Wow that couple gave their kids quite the names.
Love that poster too, that is really fun.
Your sky shots are lovely. I enjoyed stopping by.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Beautiful photos today, Marie - Oh, they do bring back wonderful memories. The books sound wonderful and interesting facts you have given us here - so nice to meet Irving Stone, too! I will have to look for this book....I went to the original Mission all those years ago. I went across Gate's pass many times and oh, those Catalina Mountains when the sun sets....so beautiful. Have a lovely weekend, Marie! Hugs xo Karen

NatureFootstep said...

beautiful nature and skies. :)

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Very pretty photos! I love your mountain view. Have a nice evening!

rainfield61 said...

What we are doing now will be seen in the memory lane tomorrow.

Included those mushrooms, your church, etc.

GreenComotion said...

Hi Marie,
The photos are lovely and I especially love the photo in your banner.
Thanks for visiting my blog.
Peace :)

orchid0324 said...

Hello, Dearest Marie; Oh you shared wonderful memories with this post. I do remember the excitement when my late mother bought encyclopedia for me and late brother:-) How great to have met a writer in person♪♪♪ Great sky shots!

I DO hope you had a wonderful Halloween and will have a Sunday♡♡♡
Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*

DeniseinVA said...

This has been a lovely Friday Five Marie. I would have loved those books as a child. Have a great weekend.

Lynn said...

what a fun, full and interesting post, gorgeous photos, I love Irving Stone's writings, this book sounds like an excellent read.

Amy Burzese said...

Marie, I still have that Childcraft poster!!! I love it. It is wornand torn on the folds, but I have it rolled up and have been planning to have it framed archaivally. Just got to get around to it.

Gail Dixon said...

How cool that Irving Stone signed your book! Those sky shots are amazing, especially the ones with the glorious light.

Kenneth Cole Schneider said...

I would like to visit Old Tucson some day. We have family in Tucson and our visits have been so enjoyable but too brief. Love those skies!

Jackie McGuinness said...

Arizona is one of my favourite places in the US. We love to visit there. I have a blogger friend who is getting ready to move there.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

I am unsure what is better ur sky views or the church? so different from ones I see normally. so it makes my heart to see it!! gorgeous !!! ( :

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy visiting the old Missions...very cool building.

Kristin_Texas said...

Thanks for mentioning my blog! That was neat to see. I can't wait to visit Festival Hill myself. My mother and I were really taken by just the surrounding area alone. We had no idea that there were even residential homes back there. I love how they're all tucked away behind the trees. (Especially that first grand house with the beautiful bricked gate entrance). It feels magical back there. Like turning the corner and suddenly finding yourself in The Enchanted Forest or something. (Yes, I'm a 'Once Upon A Time' television series fan).

And that's the view from your house?! I can't imagine looking out my window and seeing mountains. I bet it is awesome watching thunderstorms rolling through there.

I've seen mountains only once, but I hardly remember it. I was about 5 or 6, visiting my grandparents when they lived in Oklahoma for a short time.

Jim said...

Great church

Cranberry Morning said...

It was so fun to see that poster from Childcraft! We had one like that, long ago. The artwork in the old Childcraft, such as in the 1949 edition that was in my parents' home when I was little, was incredible. Later it became modernized and heartless. Thanks for the fun memory of that poster!

Helma said...

A great post with lots of information and fun facts. Also, your photos are really beautiful. I love aerial photos and the colors that you show in the skies are really super nice!
Kind regards, Helma

Brian King said...

That's a beautiful building! Those mountains are just gorgeous! What a fantastic view!

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

Fascinating post - you certainly cover a lot of interesting ground - and the photos are great!

Ruth Kelly said...

I've seen that old mission in many movies and they put on quite a show in front of it now.