Let me tell you a bit about the Grey Hawk. It is 17" inches long and has a 35" wingspan. It is a rare Sonoran Desert species that can be found in lower Arizona, and northern Mexico and the southern-most tip of Texas. In winter in it is in mid to lower Mexico and down into Central and South America. We were so shocked the first time we saw one, because of their rarity in our area. But, yes, they have visited our yard before in years past. One made a dove kill and sat in the front yard to eat it while my husband watched one day. Another time, one flew into our back glass door that goes from the porch into the house. It was following a dove and flew into the porch area, not cutting away from the door fast enough. If the glass door had been open, he would have flown into my house! We have a metal gate that I generally unlock during the day and leave slightly ajar, but on this day it was wide open. Had it been more closed, the hawk wouldn't have flown so close to the glass. He was dazed, and I tried to get camera ready to take his picture as he sat on the porch, but by the time I was ready, he flew to the back fence and I was able to get one shot. We make sure we don't leave the metal gate wide open anymore, because to damage that amazing raptor would have been a horrible thing!
Here are two internet photos so you can get a closer look at this wonderful raptor. Aren't they wonderful!? THESE ARE NOT My PHOTOS:


47 comments:
beautiful! congrats on capturing it!
Nice of you to include the Internet closeups, but wow I am so in awe of your flight shot -- I just am too old and slow to get those much.
Thanks also for the info about this handsome raptor.
Love your header shot BTW.
An impressive bird and beautiful photos.
Marie that is quite a majestic bird. I have never seen a gray hawk...we have many but not Grays...
oohhh how thrilling, awesome captures of this amazing bird!!
That is a wonderful shot! Glad you had your camera ready.
That is a gorgeous bird . . you did great to capture it - and, i admit, i would not be comfortable with it flying into my home . . . can't imagine proper behavior when a creature like that comes to call . . . (giggle)
Incredible to get a shot of a bird in flight like that. They are beautiful, I like the white and black banding on the tail.
That instinct is something I rely on, too! The critters know when something is up! Well-captured. Do be careful posting other's photos. There have been lawsuits!
cheers
Hi Marie, loved your post! The Grey Hawk is wonderful. 35 inch wingspan...wow wow wow! It must have been so exciting to see him. You did great getting the picture. We are having cooler weather now.....high 50's in the daytime. I'm wanting to pull out flowers...they are half dead but we really haven't had a good frost yet. Hope you've had a good week.
Nice shot!
The photos show a very attractive hawk, so glad he was not harmed while trying to enter your home.
Beautiful bird --but hate to see them grab the Doves... We have several Mourning Doves around here ---and we find their feathers in our yard on occasion. Luckily, the crows do a good job of warning the other birds when there is a hawk nearby....
Hugs,
Betsy
That is a magnificent bird indeed!
It's pure magic to have it around your garden :)
Cheers Marie!
A beautiful and impressive bird !
Nice looking bird - always a thrill for us - and stress for the other birds - when one visits a feeder!
Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne
Oh my goodness....oh MY GOODness!! You captured it in flight?!! Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. You got home just in the nick of time. I am totally jealous and VERY impressed Marie.
Altho, I'm working on Hootin' Anni's blog this morning, I still want to leave a big huge thank you for sharing this gorgeous hawk with us at I'd Rather B Birdin'!!
Great shots of hawk.
Great job on capturing that gorgeous bird in flight! That is awesome!
You did well to get that Grey Hawk in action, I love the description of the dazed on the doorstep one, although I'm not sure I would have enjoyed the one chomping on a dove in the backyard :)
Thanks for your visit!
Wren x
Now that shot calls for a happy dance. (That's what I'd do). That is one awesome photo of the hawk. What are the odds of capturing in flight like that, and so low to the ground too?
I'm glad you enjoyed seeing a little of Round Top. I really wish I had taken better photos and video, but it was just so dang hot.
So near yet so far Marie. Of course after two or more such occasions you are ready for the next one. Go get it girl.
They are great photos, cheers Marie.
Gorgeous bird! You were so lucky to see him.
Well captured Marie ... thanks to your excellent reactions.
Beautiful bird and congratulations on your shot!
~
a really impressive bird! beautifully captured.
thank you for visiting my blog.
What a spectacular bird! And what a privilege to see one up close.
Thanks for the information about this beautiful bird. I think you did a good job getting your picture. You must have good reflexes.
How lucky that you got to be there at just the right moment! :)
Your header shot is amazing! Thank goodness he was just momentarily dazed and confused.
How exciting to see a gray hawk in your own yard! And how lucky you got a shot of it too!
That is one amazing hawk. I'm always on the lookout, but rarely see any with the excpetion of the Red-tailed variety. I saw one yesterday coming home from daughter's house. It was sitting on a light pole, but there was traffic so couldn't stop.
Nice greatshots, wonderfull bird greeting from Belgium.
http://louisette.eklablog.com/nuit-de-l-obscurite-mons-a112810380
They certainly are quite a beautiful species! How exciting to have one visit your yard AND get a shot. I enjoyed reading and learning more about them.
nice catch of the hawk. It sits right where it shall. :)
yes a fantastic bird and you were very quick toget that shot of your own.
Marie, awesome sighting of the Grey hawk. a cool visitor and wonderful photos.. Enjoy your day!
Fantastic images of this stunning bird...
This is my first glimpse of the Grey Hawk and he is indeed impressive. I have had a Sharp Shin and a Coopers Hawk bang into my window ... they only do it once and then they adjust their approach so it won't happen again. You were so lucky to catch the hawk in flight like that ... good thinking on your part to get ready when you heard the other birds making a fuss ... that is a good sign that there is a hawk somewhere nearby. Great post and thank you for the information on this wonderful raptor.
Andrea @ From The Sol
Really great post.
Hawks are such regal birds! Lovely capture.
What a magnificent bird. You were pretty quick to get that shot!
Wow .... what a happiness that you just saw the hawk fly by. And also made such a pretty picture through the window. Your second picture is really great!
Kind regards, Helma
Stunning shots!
Finally catching up on reading this weekend. We were in Colorado this past week and it was a nice but exhausting drive. The Gray Hawks are beautiful birds aren't they? Most have migrated back and the Cooper's Hawks are checking out our feeders often now. With the cooler temps, many of our wintering hawks will be arriving soon to the desert. Hope you are enjoying your weekend. I'm having my coffee and reading blogs this morning. Best AM break ever:)
Love the sheep and these, and your HEADER!!!!!
Post a Comment