2. Helping our grandson with his math homework has been another form of torture. Math isn't my strong suit anyway, but even my husband who flew fighter jets has his moments. We know Common Core has been implemented for various nefarious reasons, but I couldn't understand why, if we're "dumbing down" everything, that the math is more complicated than it used to be! Ahhhh....now I understand! We are not alone in our pain!
3. I don't care what ANYBODY says, I love Dancing With the Stars. Our daughter used to be a ballet dancer, and she is about to start flamenco lessons.
![]() |
| Yvonne as the Sugar Plum Fairy with the Tidewater Ballet, Norfolk, Va. |
![]() |
| Our world revolved around the ballet for many years. We miss it. |
![]() |
| She was a beautiful, regal dancer....and about to go to the Hartford Ballet to train when she decided she had to give up dancing. It was a difficult, painful decision. |
She and I watch the show faithfully and text back and forth...did you see that!? Yes, it is too sexy sometimes. As a Christian, I understand why new contestant Candace Cameron Bure (sister of Kirk Cameron and D.J. in Full House as a child) who is a strong Christian, is having some trouble with some of the sexier dances. BUT, I love dance, and I can't help it! My favorite dances are the Latin dances. I wish I could take flamenco with my daughter, but hey, I'd last all of five minutes and I'd be done! :-) Anyway, to my "shock" (keeping with the theme)--in the contestant list was Danica McKellar! Getting back to math, when the year started we bought three math books written by this excellent mathematician who appeals to kids on their level, so we could help our grandson more. The books have definitely helped in many ways. You may remember Danica from The Wonder Years where she played Winnie.
4. Shocking Pink!
| Gorgeous jewels of the desert! |
All very shocking, indeed!
Join us for Random 5 Fridays by clicking on the LINK!~ Nancy at A Rural Journal is hostess!








22 comments:
gorgeous cactus. i hope you will get some shots like that - what a fun weather season to look forward too ... i bet it is gorgeous to watch. happy weekend!! ( :
Hi there, We are back from ANOTHER trip. This time we were in Georgia checking out yet another waterfall... Check my blog today when you get a chance.
I wouldn't know what to do if I lived in such a 'dry' place.. I loved visiting that area --but not sure I'd want to live there.
Love those PINK flowers.. The color is gorgeous.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Betsy
Oh I Hate common core garbage!
Sorry about the shocking treatment you've been getting!Hahaaa...I know it must be getting old...Try wadding up a clothes softener sheet in your pocket..might help!
hughugs
A real 'shocking' post, Marie- I am also the one in the family that gets shocked. The worst is when you open the car door! I sympathize with helping with math homework - it really exercises the brain and makes the old neurons come to life! I had to re-educate myself during the homework years. Your daughter is so beautiful - you must be so proud of her. And that cactus- it's amazing how beautiful cactus flowers are. I've witnessed those intense storms - they truly are amazing! Hope your weekend is less than shocking. :) Hugs xo Karen
I remember from going to visit my grandmother in Phoenix how dry it is. I wouldn't do well with that full time.
Would a humidifier help?
Your daughter is/was gorgeous! Must have been a tough decision to quit.
Beautiful cacti blooms!
Shockingly beautiful photos, Marie. I loved remembering the past and seeing the new. Great post.
oh i loved the photos of your daughter dancing! that must have been very hard for her to give up. i love the show the wonder years, i remember winnie! wow, that is a gorgeous pink! have a great weekend :)
Whoa - that lightning IS shocking!! (LOL) We don't get lightning like that around here, I would love watching that!
A humidifier would help in the house. You just have to keep filling it up with water. I use one in the winter. It will stop the shocking.
Great photo's!
Nothing wrong at all with your feelings about dance, being Christian makes no difference. Sympathise with you about the shocks and the maths!
Oh yes, very shocking. I love the photo of the lightning! It's hard for me to believe that so much can occur all at one time. And how beautiful the desert is when it's in bloom!
Beautiful photos of your daughter dancing- she must have loved it very much.
I'm not usually a DWTS fan, but this season I have been watching...saw Billy leave last night. I'm not sure who I am for yet...and not sure I like the switching pro partners business.
Get you a humidifier! I have one and it saved me this winter. A can of Crisco will help your hands too. I'm serious!
Well, I just love your shocking post! It is very dry here in Texas as well. I watch dancing with the stars once in a while. It is really fun to watch. Lovely cactus! By the way, I stopped by your other blog and viewed your beautiful quilt!! So lovely!
Lots of dry here in Texas as well. Love the ballet and the Dancing with the stars. Pretty cactus!
beautiful cacti blooms....
and that lightning, WoW!! scarey and beautiful!!
Although I'm sorry about the shocking experiences you have when you touch something, I enjoyed reading the shocking points in your post. My daughter also danced ballet for several years, and it was hard on us all when she decided to quit. I still love The Nutcracker.
A lovely post Marie! Having a daughter who was a ballet dancer must have been incredible. I love the ballet! Math not so much :( I do love those vibrantly pink cactus blooms.
i love your pink cactus blooms. we get yellow only here.
your daughter looks like she was very gifted as a ballerina. beautiful.
I live in a humid climate which is another form of torture especially in the summer. I love the ballet shots. I've only watched Dancing with the Stars once but I can see how it could be fun, especially since you and your daughter compare notes about it.
I feel your pain with this Math Common Core. What a nightmare! I wish it would all go away. I'm really not sure what the purpose of that program is other than frustrating parents, students and teachers alike. As for Dancing With the Stars, I love the Latin dances as well!
Your daughter looks so beautiful. I love dance too! I was a professional modern dancer for several years (long time ago) and loved it, though life took me in a more practical direction after a while. My favorite dance show is So You Think You Can Dance. Such talent!
Very pretty cactus flowers:)
Post a Comment