
In 1864 Lee was tenaciously defending Richmond, which was then the Capitol of the Confederacy, by defending nearby Petersburg. Miles of trenches, some of which you can see above, were dug in the defense. This was a precursor to the trench warfare of World War I. The Seige of Petersburg was long, and the two enemy forces were in close proximity during the stand-off.
A Union Colonel, Henry Pleasants, who was a mining engineer proposed digging a tunnel under the Confederate lines, then blowing up the enemy forces there, causing confusion, and being able to capture Petersburg as an end result. The Confederates suspected the tunnel was being dug, but could not find the exact location. Here I am standing at the entrance to the tunnel.

On July 30 the Federals exploded a mine blowing a gap in the Confederate defenses, but things did not go as planned. The Confederates quickly recovered after the initial confusion and launched counter-attacks led by Maj. General William Mahone. The break in the lines was sealed, and the Federals were pushed back and suffered severe casualities in the process. There were another eight months of trench warfare that ensued. Here are two photographs of the Crater.
Here is a drawing of the actual trench that was dug. And if you are interested in the church adjacent to the Battlefield, old Blandford Church, check out Mom's last My World post at Life in Wakefield
11 comments:
I did not know that part, but yet I did read Cold Mountain. That was a captivating read.
Awesome post and wonderful photo's!! Thanks so much for all the information!!
Your part of the world is so cool!!
Take care and Happy Holidays to you and your family from ours.
Thank you for an informative tour through this historic site. Have a wonderful Christmas.
Oh I know you enjoyed this trip. How very interesting. Merry Christmas to you.
Thanks for an excellent summary of the Battle of the Crater. We visited Petersburg last year and this was one of our stops. Your pictures brought back many pleasant memories.
Really interesting history, thanks for sharing, Merry Christmas.
How special you chose a trip with me! That was a wonderful time of exploration.
Marie: What a neat view of history from your world, thanks for sharing these photos and story.
A lot of interesting history in that part of the world.
Thank you all! I will be gone for a while...away from a computer. But will check back with you all again as soon as I can. Have a Merry Christmas!
Marie
thanks for sharing such an informative post and the pictures were excellent.
i am always interested in new places to visit in the state.
happy holidays from botetourt county virginia
Post a Comment